Rejected!
After I wrote the post last week about rejection, I was feeling pretty chipper. Lots of writers get rejected! Persistence is key!
But this week, I'm worn down. The day I posted about rejection, I received a non-personalized rejection slip for some poems. Yesterday, I received another handwritten "thank you" rejection for a different set of poems. And the agent I met at the conference sent me a very enthusiastic rejection for my novel.
I tried to look on the bright side of that last rejection. It contained three exclamation marks. The agent said she enjoyed reading the opening chapters and told me I had "terrific writing credentials." She said she hoped I'd consider submitting my next novel to her agency. But when it comes right down to it, she said she didn't find herself "falling into the story as I had hoped." Rejected.
I wish I had a cheery ending to this post, but I don't. Sometimes writing feels like an abusive relationship--it brings me flowers just often enough to make up for the battering it gives my self-esteem. I keep thinking that maybe it will change. Or is it time to leave and get a restraining order?
Yes, I'm being melodramatic. I'll probably keep slogging along. Maybe I should embrace my rejected state and write "Ode to Rejection," or Rejection, the Musical.
But this week, I'm worn down. The day I posted about rejection, I received a non-personalized rejection slip for some poems. Yesterday, I received another handwritten "thank you" rejection for a different set of poems. And the agent I met at the conference sent me a very enthusiastic rejection for my novel.
I tried to look on the bright side of that last rejection. It contained three exclamation marks. The agent said she enjoyed reading the opening chapters and told me I had "terrific writing credentials." She said she hoped I'd consider submitting my next novel to her agency. But when it comes right down to it, she said she didn't find herself "falling into the story as I had hoped." Rejected.
I wish I had a cheery ending to this post, but I don't. Sometimes writing feels like an abusive relationship--it brings me flowers just often enough to make up for the battering it gives my self-esteem. I keep thinking that maybe it will change. Or is it time to leave and get a restraining order?
Yes, I'm being melodramatic. I'll probably keep slogging along. Maybe I should embrace my rejected state and write "Ode to Rejection," or Rejection, the Musical.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
10 Comments:
I'm so sorry, Tess.
(((HUG)))
Rejection like that is hard. You're putting yourself out there for others to assess. It's like an audition for a play and when your work is rejected it feels like you are rejected. I'm sorry to hear about this. For what it's worth, I don't keep coming back here, I'm not subscribed to your blog because of anything but your writing. It's that good.
Well, I forgot to add in "And because you're cool." :)
Am I one of the cool kids? Wow!
I think this blog has really helped me, because I do have an audience, however small. Even without having a novel published, I've gotten people across the country to discuss things with me--important things, like religion and politics and parenthood. That kind of dialogue is what makes the internet wonderful.
Oh, Tess. I'm so sorry. And I'm sure having them arrive in a bunch makes it seem a little worse. But you're a great writer! Rejection is painful...you're entitled to feel negative about it. But after a while, you'll get up, dust yourself off and keep going. Because you are a writer. Because you have valuable and important things to say.
Oh, and you are most definitely one of the cool kids!
Just a couple more things...
Have you been to this site? (Evil Editor) You might not feel like reading it now, but I think in maybe a week or so you should check it out. Evilly funny stuff and, I think, enlightening.
And Precie has another busy day at work....LMAO!
LOL! I have a sickness. An addiction. I can't help myself.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :)
No wonder you've been struggling with feeling down...rejection is the hardest thing to deal with. Wow, I better quit while I am ahead...that was a most uninsightful statement!
OH NO...dreading the word verification!
Post a Comment
<< Home