Healthy Parenting
According to John Gottman, PhD, in Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child, "While authoritarian parents characteristically impose many limits and expect strict obedience without giving children explanations, authoritative parents parents set limits but are considerably more flexible, providing their children with explanations and lots of warmth." Gottman notes that in early studies of preschool children, "children of authoritative parents were most consistently cooperative, self-reliant, energetic, friendly, and achievement-oriented." Laurence Steinberg, PhD, writes in The Ten Basic Principles of Good Parenting, "The most important thing that children need from their parents is love, but a close second is structure." (If you're looking for research-based information on parenting, both of those books are great.)
A new study reported by Cnn.com suggests another benefit of the authoritative parenting style: healthier kids. Children of authoritative parents were least likely to become overweight later on. According to the article,
I strive for an authoritative parenting style, though I know I don't always succeed. It's nice to know, though, that all those hugs and time-outs aren't just teaching Ben love and self-control; they may help him be healthier later in life.To determine parenting style for the new study, researchers surveyed the mothers and observed them interacting with their children when the kids were 4 years old. The children's body mass indexes were measured later when the children were in first grade.
Seventeen percent of the children of strict disciplinarians were overweight compared to 9.9 percent of the children of neglectful parents, 9.8 percent of the children of permissive parents and 3.9 percent of the children of flexible rule-setters.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
1 Comments:
I agree. As I said (I think?) on my blog in the comment back to you (I meant to anyway)...consistency and boundaries have contributed to our manboys being well-rounded, secure, upstanding young men.
Hh
Post a Comment
<< Home