Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

More Midwives

Cnn.com reports that, according to data from the National Center for Health Statistics, the number of midwife-assisted births doubled from 1990 to 2003 (from 4 to 8 % of all U.S. births). I think it's wonderful that more women are becoming aware of this birthing option. I loved the prenatal care I received at The Birth Center in Philadelphia, where the nurse-midwives scheduled appointments for a full half hour and were always happy to answer my questions.

In Missouri, though, options for midwife-assisted births are more limited. According to Friends of Missouri Midwives, "in Missouri, independent midwives cannot legally care for pregnant moms, nor attend their births. Even Certified Nurse Midwives, who can legally practice under a doctor's supervision, have limited opportunities to do so in Missouri." My health insurance plan does not cover a single midwife in Missouri.

There is, however, an underground network of lay midwives. I know a woman who is due in June. She had a lay midwife at the homebirth of her first child and is planning on doing the same for the new baby. She told me that if I get pregnant again, she can take my name and have a midwife call me, but that most lay midwives won't reveal their names unless they know a pregnant woman is serious about receiving their services because they're afraid of prosecution. It blew my mind that in this day and age, midwives must operate like criminals in Missouri. Friends of Missouri Midwives have so far been unsuccessful in convincing the legislature to change the laws, but they've vowed to try again next year.

I believe that the midwifery model of birth is safe for most women, and it's even safer when backed up by the medical system (as at Philadelphia's Birth Center). It saddens me that Missouri's women lack the full range of birth options.

5 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

Cincinnati = no midwives. Madison = almost every woman I know who has delivered in the past 10 months (roughly six) has used a birthing center with nurse midwives. Amazing the difference between city/state culture!

5:55 AM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

You _know_ how I feel about this...

:) Hh

10:25 AM  
Blogger Tess said...

Yes, I have a hunch. ;)

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also live is missouri and am pregnant, seeking a midwife, but can't get anywhere. There is one in Springfeild, but she can't help us cause we live too far away. Ask this friend of yours that can have a midwife call you if she can do the same for a desperate new mommy. We live in west plains, missouri, and were looking into the birth center in columbia, but they won't take our insurance, and we can't do the out of pocket thing. Anyways, if you can I will give you contact info for me and my husband, if you can't give me any info, i understnad

3:33 PM  
Blogger Tess said...

I can't promise anything, but can you email me at my archwords (at) yahoo (dot) com address?

You can also try www.friendsofmomidwives.org.

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home