Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Friday, July 28, 2006

Friday Miscellany

Just in case you thought driving and chatting on your cell phone was safe, know that researchers at the University of Utah have found that talking on the phone while driving impairs people as much as drinking and driving. According to the press release,

"We found that people are as impaired when they drive and talk on a cell phone as they are when they drive intoxicated at the legal blood-alcohol limit" of 0.08 percent, which is the minimum level that defines illegal drunken driving in most U.S. states, says study co-author Frank Drews, an assistant professor of psychology. "If legislators really want to address driver distraction, then they should consider outlawing cell phone use while driving."

Psychology Professor David Strayer, the study's lead author, adds: "Just like you put yourself and other people at risk when you drive drunk, you put yourself and others at risk when you use a cell phone and drive. The level of impairment is very similar."

The researchers found that using hands-free phones offered no improvement in driving ability--it's the distraction that counts.

* * *

Two health articles from CNN.com: One group of researchers found that young children with extra-sensitive taste buds were more likely to refuse vegetables--even sweeter ones, such as carrots. And another set of researchers has found that cold watermelon is less nutritous than watermelon served at room temperature. But who eats watermelon for its nutritional value?

* * *

This cover of Baby Talk magazine has stirred controversy--and over 700 letters to the editor--because it shows (gasp!) a nursing infant. Many women who wrote in were disturbed by the photograph, including one who felt the need to shred it. You can read the cover article ("Why Don't Women Nurse Longer?") here.

* * *

Finally, in political news, National Public Radio reports that, in the most competitive midterm races, "while Republicans do a little bit better with these voters than they do in a nationwide sample, the numbers still point to trouble for the party in power."

1 Comments:

Blogger Counting_Blessings said...

I laughed when I saw the "cold vs. warm watermelon" study. I was shocked to see that watermelon had any nutritional content at all, afterall, it is mostly water..

Re: cell phones. In NY, use of hand-held cell phones is illegal while driving and yet a good number of ppl still use them. I use mine while driving only if absolutely necessary and only for a quick call -- I definitely feel that it is a distraction and liability while driving (hands free or handheld).

Why is it that I can have a conversation with the person in the passenger seat and still drive without impair, yet I hook that device to my ear and I immediately lose concentration?

7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home