Saturday Art
I don't want to dwell on it too long, but I had some failures with my lastest painting. Here's a picture of the two rejects. I don't know how to fix them yet. It's night in the scene. But one of these are to dark and the other too sloppy.

They were based on this little sketch. Now I'm thinking I might change the whole thing.

To get my mind off of this, here's a picture of my new computer. Isn't it fancy?

It even has a remote. To do what, I don't know.

They were based on this little sketch. Now I'm thinking I might change the whole thing.

To get my mind off of this, here's a picture of my new computer. Isn't it fancy?

It even has a remote. To do what, I don't know.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
4 Comments:
Love the big screen, Kaela...
...somehow I think any artistic you do can't be a failure...! Your "failures" still look interesting and pretty to me...
Hh
P.S. If they don't come out the way you "pictured" is it a failure...you mentioned one is too dark and one too messy. What constitutes failure for an artist; for you?
Great computer!
I think "failure" is an interesting topic. Kaela, when you post about your struggles, I find it interesting, but I never get too concerned because I know that struggles are part of the process, and I'm confident that you'll find a way out.
With myself, however, I'm much more harsh, and I see small failures as evidence that I'm not very good at what I do. Interesting how I'm so much kinder to others than I am to myself.
But to answer Hannah's question, I would say that for me, a failure is when I've attempted a poem or a story, and I realize that for whatever reason it's not working; it just doesn't come togther. Sometimes, pieces can be fixed through revision, but sometimes you realize there just isn't enough there to be worth the time.
Also an interesting point is that "failures" can still look nice to other people--when Kaela was cleaning out her studio, we took several rejected pieces to put up in our new house, and we like them a lot.
Hannah,
I fail when there is a problem with the piece that I can't solve. Or, like Tess said, sometimes there isn't enough to work on. Maybe the composition is ultimately boring (possibly my problem here) and after I work on it for awhile I begin to see that.
Fear of failure used to stop me from working more than it does now. If I begin to worry about lacking talent or skill and seize up and avoid drawing, I try to remind myself that I'm the only one who's going to do the work. I may have to slog through a time of failure, but no one else will do it for me.
Somehow that helps me keep working.
And Tess: it was really nice to see my paintings in your house. They seemed more alive there than they did in my studio.
Post a Comment
<< Home