Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Monday, June 19, 2006

Considering the Lilies


Since at least one of my readers has said she likes flower pictures, today I'm going to consider my day lilies.

I remember having these in front of the townhouse we lived in when I was little, and even then I didn't like them much. They're too orange, too polleny, too untidy. I prefer smaller, more modest flowers.

But the lilies in our front garden were planted by a previous owner, and we're stuck with them unless we want to dig up the garden and start again. Lately, I've been fascinated by how the blossoms open and close. In the mornings when I go out to get the paper, they are closed and some look almost shriveled.


Some are starting to open in the first rays of sunlight.


By mid-morning, they're fully open.


Sometimes I wonder if my neighbors ever think, "There goes that crazy lady taking pictures of her flowers again."


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home