Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Pimp My Cat

I'm not especially fond of the word "pimp." For one thing, it's too close to "pimple," which is a word that makes my skin crawl. For another, I deplore the sexualization of American culture, especially when it's marketed to children.

Late at night, though, Tom and I have been known to get into silly moods. As we sat around drinking tea and eating chocolate chip cookies, he told me an online survey had asked him whether he "pimped" his electronic equipment. Now, we both knew the survey wasn't asking him if he helped prostitute his computer or MP3 player; instead, it was using the definition "to make attractive/fancy," as used on the MTV show Pimp My Ride.

This led to us trying to come up with the best title for a new reality show. I thought Pimp My Wife sounded inappropriate and funny, and Pimp My Cookies might work for a cooking show, but the hands-down winner was Pimp My Cat. We envisioned a team of three people (probably two men and a woman) who would knock on doors and say with cheesy grins, "We're here to pimp your cat!" The result would probably look something like this. Tom thought every episode should end with the sounds of a cat yowling and hissing.

Do other couples get in silly moods like this? Do other people try to come up with absurd reality shows?

1 Comments:

Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

This recalls for me some of our "sillier moods"--hubby daring me to speak with my Irish accent for our entire date and answer to the name "Bridget" all evening...(as if I don't already have enough names!!!)

People watching is one of our favorite silly free-date things to do. Coming up with what people are conversing (or arguing!) about, how long they've known each other or "having their conversations" as we imagine them.

For example: We see a couple across the street having a dicussion. Their body language makes us decide they met on the internet and this is their first date.

Or another couple we see might be tourists and are lost but making the best of it. A man might be wondering how he can get out of dinner with his in-laws that night.

See? We're silly, too.

Hh

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home