Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Saturday Art

I've been reading about other illustrators and how they (seem to) whip out new drawings almost daily. I need more art for my upcoming website so I decided to do a painting as fast as possible. I came up with this sketch after researching old fashioned wooden sleds:

dogsketch

After drawing toboggans all afternoon I noticed all the snow tube pictures I had overlooked. Snow tubes are much funnier than toboggans. So I put them in a snow tube:

Snow-sketch


Here's the halfway completed painting:

Snow-outline

It's taken me two days to get this far. Is that fast?

I bet I could get faster with a paycheck in sight.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tess said...

The second sketch made me chuckle--you're right, snow tubes are much funnier. Where are they going? Can you put them in a hot air balloon? In a gondola in Venice? When they get to their destination, they could play poker....

9:21 PM  
Blogger tom said...

before the marx brothers would make a movie (the earlier ones), they would tour the country trying out the material--and found that some words were funnier than others. for some reason. i guess visuals work the same way!

5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home