Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Democrats and Religion

In Slate today, Amy Sullivan reflects on the new poll showing that Democrats are losing religious voters. (Republicans also experienced a drop in support from religious voters, but it was half the size.) She argues,

Rarely is there an acknowledgment that Democratic politicians—and Democratic voters—hold liberal political views precisely because of their religious beliefs, that caring for the most vulnerable in society and protecting God's creation are imperatives, too.

It's a tricky balance for the Democratic party. While I agree that Democratic Christians need to speak up and not cede religious discourse to the right, at the same time I'm uneasy w



And here I'll stop. This is intellectual life with a toddler: I try to dash off a quick blog while he is getting bathed and put in pajamas, and somehow he pees on the floor and his armchair, and I have to stop and clean it up. Then he's shrieking because he doesn't want diaper cream on. Even though I'm not the designated caretaker at the moment, I can't concentrate at all because he is clearly hysterical. Fun!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ERG! I was just getting into that post! hahahahahaha! I can totally relate. That has to be one of the most creative posts yet, stopping in the middle of a word.

From what I read I totally agree. What drives me up the wall is when people assume that if you're a Dem then you can't be religious and if you're a Rep then you have to be. Stupid false dichotomies.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Tess said...

Yeah, that was pretty much what I was going to say at the end. Glad you liked the postmodern blogging! It was all about the breakdown of conventional narratives.

10:20 AM  
Blogger AquarianM said...

Isn't that just the truth. You get involved in all this reasoning about life's ideals and real life steps in and adjusts your priorities for you. Still, I like that caring for your fellow human being part. I could swear I read about Jesus advocating that a time or two. Among other "sages and saviours."

Dan
www.sweetheartbeach.com

2:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home