Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Monday, December 18, 2006

Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming


Yesterday, we lit the rose-colored candle on our advent wreath. The sources I've consulted say that the pink candle is traditionally lit the third Sunday in advent, although some people are moving it to the fourth to put it closer to Christmas Day. Many people call it the Joy candle and see it as the anticipation of the joy of Christmas.

Waiting is hard. Ben asks a dozen times a day if it's time to hang stockings yet; yesterday, when we told him we had to wait a week, he paused for about a nanosecond and asked, "Is it a week now?" He asked about stockings again this morning, as if hanging them will bring about the much-awaited day. When he hears people say "Merry Christmas," he's apt to remind them (and himself), "It's not Christmas yet."

The first advent candle was solitary in the darkness--not much light at all, really. By yesterday, though, I could see the light swelling around the table. In one more week, we'll see the symmetry of five candles, burning steadily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home