My Good News
I just got a phone call to inform me that my story "Anywhere at All" won first place in the St. Louis Writer's Guild annual short story contest. The monentary award was a percentage of the entry fees--over $500.
I realized that it's been over a decade since anyone paid me for my fiction. What a wonderful feeling.
Funny thing is, yesterday I had decided I'd made peace with not getting paid for my creative writing.
I wrote the story--about a teenage boy who gets kicked out of his church youth group and then gets suspended for skipping school--a few years ago. When I heard the contest judge give a lecture in October about loving your flawed characters, I thought of that story. It wasn't among the pieces I was trying to get published, but I dug it out and tinkered with it, adding some details (including a trendy reference to MySpace). I decided the $15 entry fee was a good risk.
I'm trying to ignore the fact that $500 is exactly the amount of our car insurance deductible for the fender-bender I caused in two weeks ago when I hit a friend's parked car. Instead, I'm hoping to reinvest the money in the "business" and use it to buy a laptop....
But for now, I'm just going to savor being paid for doing what I love.
I realized that it's been over a decade since anyone paid me for my fiction. What a wonderful feeling.
Funny thing is, yesterday I had decided I'd made peace with not getting paid for my creative writing.
I wrote the story--about a teenage boy who gets kicked out of his church youth group and then gets suspended for skipping school--a few years ago. When I heard the contest judge give a lecture in October about loving your flawed characters, I thought of that story. It wasn't among the pieces I was trying to get published, but I dug it out and tinkered with it, adding some details (including a trendy reference to MySpace). I decided the $15 entry fee was a good risk.
I'm trying to ignore the fact that $500 is exactly the amount of our car insurance deductible for the fender-bender I caused in two weeks ago when I hit a friend's parked car. Instead, I'm hoping to reinvest the money in the "business" and use it to buy a laptop....
But for now, I'm just going to savor being paid for doing what I love.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
4 Comments:
Congrats!!!! I'm happy for you!!
Tess, that's wonderful news. Congratulations on your win! and believe me, the laptop is worth it!
That's excellent, Tess.
I'm looking forward to reading the story sometime.
Post a Comment
<< Home