Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Monday, January 15, 2007

A Hit Before Your Mother Was Born

Ben's hair is getting so long and shaggy that yesterday Tom told him he looked like a Beatle. As an illustration, Tom got out several albums and played a few songs. This morning, when Ben got up, instead of requesting Dora he asked for the Beatles. He seems to like Magical Mystery Tour.

When we were listening to "Your Mother Should Know," I had one of those strange moments of parenting vertigo. They sang,

Let's all get up and dance to a song
that was a hit before your mother was born
though she was born a long, long time ago
your mother should know

your mother should know


My mom had sung that song to me when I was a child--and now I was the mother, and the song my son was dancing to was, in fact, a hit before I was born.

Photo from MikeWebkist (aka Mike Cramer) on flickr.com.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is SO cool. The Beatles are timeless. I've had similar moments with Thomas where I stop and think about the things my mom used to do with me; those same things I'm now doing with my son. It makes me tear up just thinking about it.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Tess said...

Ben--I agree that the Beatles are timeless. What's weird to me, though, is that for my Ben, they will be his grandparents' music. That would be like big band to us, maybe? It's just strange to think about rock and roll being the music of old people.

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting article as for me. I'd like to read something more about that topic.
BTW look at the design I've made myself High class escort

5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home