Missouri Miracle
Over the past several days, I've avoided reading too much in the Post-Dispatch about the disappearance of Missouri 13-year-old William "Ben" Ownby. It was too painful to hear about the searches and the candlelight vigils for someone who went by the same name as my son. As days passed, it seemed unlikely the boy would be found alive. My heart ached for his parents.
And then this afternoon, a miracle: Ben was found in a town near us. Not only that--in the same apartment police found a boy who had been kidnapped in 2002. The key was a white pickup truck in the parking lot that matched the description of a vehicle seen speeding away earlier this week. I know that the boys and their families will face many challenges as they deal with what happened, but the boys' safe return is amazing.
And then this afternoon, a miracle: Ben was found in a town near us. Not only that--in the same apartment police found a boy who had been kidnapped in 2002. The key was a white pickup truck in the parking lot that matched the description of a vehicle seen speeding away earlier this week. I know that the boys and their families will face many challenges as they deal with what happened, but the boys' safe return is amazing.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
2 Comments:
Wow!! What an amazing outcome!
I can't imagine how much hope I would have left if my child had been gone is long as Shawn. I know the helplessness I felt when Misty was out of my sit for a few moments that seemed like an eternity. It truly made our acreage seem to quadruple in size.
Mike of STL.
I am a father and my opinions come from how I would feel had this happen to one of my children.
It's just my opinion but I think the Missouri miracle is getting dangerous press. It is amazing the the two boys have been found, but I think it's time the media get out of it, especially Oprah. The outcome of the tragedy IS wonderful and amazing. Post damage to these two children from the media and their one sided views need to stop. Sensationalism and news of this horrific situation in my opinion is frugal. Let's turn the focus on what the law will do to the monster responsible. Missouri prosecuters need to make an example and deal out some outragous convictions and punnishments. This man needs a sentence fitting with the crime of his murder of Shawn Horkbeck's psyche. From the age of 11 to 15 this poor boy has been tortured and sexually assulted. Too many sex offenders get a slap on the wrist, that's why they continue to harm children over and over again. Our children are our future, they are not suppossed to me damaged for some sick persons jollies! I say throw the book at this monster. Lock him away, give him life, or make an example out of him in such a way that current and future kidnappers/child sex offenders regardless of their compulsion, have the fear of extreme punnishment and possibly the rest of their life behind bars in the most dangerous of prisons. Or, let the friends and relatives of these two poor boys take out their agressions on this idiot. Normally I'd not express myself, but this is a crime that digs at my inner most freelings. Make child abduction, abuse, sexual assualt offenders shake in their shoes. The defense in this case has NO defense. Please let this man's sentence lead him to suffer as these boys have.
Post a Comment
<< Home