Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Monday, January 22, 2007

More Milestones


This was a big weekend for Ben: he wore underwear for the first time, and he started sleeping in his big boy bed (aka toddler bed).

He had been asking for underwear for weeks, so we finally went to Target and bought some. He was mildly disappointed not to get Dora, but he settled for Diego and Thomas the Tank Engine. When we got home from the store, he asked to wear them and then proceeded to dance around the living room shouting, "I'm wearing underwear! Just like Daddy!" Saturday's two accidents literally dampened his enthusiasm, though, so we're back to diapers for the moment. I've told him he can wear the underwear whenever he wants, but he doesn't have to. Potty training is one of those parenting subjects that makes me feel completely at sea.... I know at some point he'll get there, but right now I don't have a clear picture of how.

Ben had also been asking for his big boy bed, which we had been storing in the basement. I knew it was time on Saturday, when, after more than an hour of not napping, he climbed out of the crib, opened the door to his room, turned off the white noise machine, and said, "I want to play now."

When the final screw came out of the crib, I burst into tears. Ben has taken his new bed in stride, though, and promptly crammed it with as many stuffed animals and books as he could fit. The bed change reminded me of weaning: for a while I knew in the back of my mind the change was coming, but then it seemed to happen suddenly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home