Happy Mother's Day!

Although I can't help feeling a twinge of guilt when I think of Anna Jarvis (the woman who founded Mother's Day as a holiday of peace and social justice, only to deplore its commercialization in later years), I do love going out to breakfast and getting chocolate and flowers. (For the past few days, Ben had been telling me, "You'll get your present on Mother's Day. It's candy. It's a surprise.") A fellow mother-friend sent me a lovely bracelet with several charms: a book, a computer mouse, a butterfly, a chocolate bar, hands of friendship, a ballet shoe, and a butterfly. Although I agree the holiday is too commercial, far be it from me to turn down presents.... At the same time, though, the ads screaming at us to treat Mom to a $200 spa day are a far cry from the holiday's original spirit.
The Unitarian chapel we've been going to had their annual flower communion this morning: everyone brings a flower, and then the flowers are put in baskets and everyone takes a new one. The flowers represent the community: varied and unique beings that are beautiful when brought together. I got a slightly wilted peony, a flower that I love. The imagery of growth and beauty in the service made me think back to Anna Jarvis. Sometimes the world seems sorely in need of mothering.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
3 Comments:
That photo looks like it should be on a Mother's Day card. :) Very cute! Glad you had a good mother's day.
Agreed -- lovely photo. My girls are under the impression that I love the color purple. So I got lavender shower gel and a box of Russel Stover chocolates (the caramel collection, which has a purple ribbon on the box). Nice. And then we went through househunting hassles, so that wasn't as nice. Oh well. Turned out for the best. :)
I adore this photo of the two of you!!
Post a Comment
<< Home