Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day!

Here's the sign of a good dad: he doesn't complain when he has been promised a lovely morning of homemade breakfast, church, and a favorite restaurant for lunch--but then the plans are abruptly canceled when his wife becomes ill. Yes, I caught whatever stomach bug Ben had last week and spent the morning alternately throwing up (Ben was amused to learn that grownups vomit in the potty) and lying in bed. Tom stepped up and took care of him while doing work on the kitchen remodeling. Finally at dinner time I was able to drag myself out of bed so we could go to a diner for dinner.

I talked briefly with my dad, and he thought doing "dad stuff" was a perfect way for Tom to spend Father's Day. My dad confessed that he missed doing things with his kids. As Ben snuggled next to me so I could read him bedtime stories in my bed instead of his, I reminded myself that this time will pass, and I should reach through my sickness to enjoy it as much as possible.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I admire Tom for stepping up to the plate. He's got good character. And I like what your father said about doing dad stuff. I know people are different, but I don't like the idea I'm "off" on that day. Whether's it's discipline or play, I'm a father because of my children, and it just seems appropriate to celebrate, for me, that way.

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Blake Cisneros said...

Nice blog you have here, thanks for sharing this

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home