Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

"Thank You for Your Great Effort"

This morning, I received an email update from a high school friend. In all honesty, sometimes it is hard to read her emails and her blog. A month after she graduated from college, Emily became mysteriously ill, and she has battled a serious illness for the past 9 years.

Today I read her blog post about her 9-year anniversary of becoming sick. I link to it here because it’s beautifully written. It’s also very sad. I’m absorbed in my daily life of family and work, and her blog posts about illness and pain seem to come from a different world. It’s hard to believe that our lives have diverged so sharply since high school.


Her posts make me cry. Reading them, I feel mixed emotions: guilt that I have things that she longs for (a child, a husband, work, the ability to move without pain); renewed gratitude for the blessings of my life that are, all too often, invisible to me; sadness that someone I would have described in high school as sunny or bubbly is now suffering so deeply; joy at her connection to beloved friends and family; a sense awe at her faith; and humble gratitude that she has shared her journey with the people who care about her.


It’s not easy reading about Emily’s physical pain and her spiritual struggles. Part of me wants to follow a Spirituality-Lite kind of thinking: What a great reminder for me to count my blessings! But it strikes me as horrid to turn another human being into a simple story that reflects only on me, something to ponder before I drink my coffee and then forget about as I move on with my day. Another part of me wants to respond shallowly: Thanks for the update! Hang in there! But instead of those distancing responses, I’ve been trying this morning to articulate something deeper.


In Writing Down the Bones, Natalie Goldberg tells the story of Shunryu Suzuki, founder of the San Francisco Zen Center. Suzuki was lying on his deathbed when an old friend visited. Suzuki said simply to his friend, “I don’t want to die.” His friend bowed his head and replied, “Thank you for your great effort.”


Now this story illustrates part of what drives me crazy about Zen Buddhism. I want the dying man’s friend to take his hand and say, “It will be okay” or “You’ll be at peace soon.” I mean, the man is dying—why not try to make him more comfortable or distract him? When I first read the story, I felt scared, and I wanted to push that feeling away. I skipped ahead to the next chapter.


But I found myself thinking of this story after I read Emily’s posts about her illness. In the story, the dying man says how he feels, and his friend is present with him. The friend accepts the dying man’s words, without trying to minimize them or push them away. In the face of death, that reaction seems inadequate. But sometimes, telling and accepting the truth is all you have. I can’t fix a friend’s constant pain, and that makes me feel crazy. I want to help. I can’t help.


In her blog, Emily describes facing, under extreme conditions, the task we all have: making the most of what we’re given as we face an uncertain life. She is saying both I don’t want to live this way and I am living this way. The scared part of me—the part that flatly refuses to consider that severe illness could happen to me or anyone in my family, the part that denies how hard this must be for her—wants to either push her story away or turn it into a simple, easily-contained lesson. Instead, I thank her for her great effort in telling the truth.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

And thank you Tess. I've been sulky all day. Time to snap out of it.

10:43 AM  
Blogger emily said...

Tess,
I am so overwhelmed by your blog entry, I'm not sure how to even describe how I feel! (Imagine me speechless! haha. You captured with such beauty and grace what I think so many people are afraid to admit about facing illness and death in that of a friend or loved one. I appreciated beyond words your honesty. And I was moved to tears that my journey has touched you enough for you to spend a blog entry on it! If, in life, I touch others this way or make the journey for another person struggling easier, than I have not suffered in vain. NOTHING you said upset me, as was your concern. My mom and I were both in tears when we read what you wrote. I felt so blessed. My mom is now addicted to your blog too. We KNOW you will get a novel published...as you write, and have always written, exquisitely. And, in this entry you completely spoke the truth about how we want to react or are tempted to react to those suffering. Honoring and admitting that truth touched me so much. As did your words about me. I still remember seeing you are our reunion (my last hurrah) and the deep care and concern in your eues when you looked at me and said, 'Will you be okay.' and I could not, with truth, say for sure if I would get better or not. To this day, I can still picture that moment and feel how much you cared. Amazing how the years change us--although, I think most days I'm still pretty 'sunny' somehow! :) You're one of those people I've always said, man, I wish I had gotten to be better friends with her in high school! Seeing you at the reunion was fantastic--and seeing you thriving and happy was great. If you make it to town and are ever up for a visit, just let me know! It would be great to see you. As Christopher Reeve said, despite this illness, 'I'm Still Me.' BTW, Ben? TOO cute! I love the comment about throwing up in the potty being 'amusing.' May I post a link to your blog on my blog? May I post I cut an paste the entry you wrote on my blog? It moved me so much and I think it captures what so many folks feel when they read my blog. I took a HUGE risk this time to be more honest than I usually am. Usually, in all honestly, I do a LOT of sugar-coating and I may have scared many people off--for the very reasons you mentioned in you post! All my best to you! Thank you for the gift of your entry--it really was beyond amazing. Love, Emily

8:13 PM  
Blogger emily said...

Grrrrrrr....I should have proof read BEFORE I posted! Sorry! I'm a bit brain fogged as always.
Em
P.S. Gilead could have perhaps been ever more slow to me b/c I was listening to it on tape from the Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped--and the reader was not exactly the best. I can not read anymore so do all my 'reading' through books on tape--and let me tell you--the reader makes all the difference in the world!

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home