Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Book Week: Mommy Mantras

This week I'll be posting brief reviews of some of the books I've read lately.


I generally don't like books with "Mommy" in the title (way to infantalize women!), but today's book, Mommy Mantras: Affirmations and Insights to Keep You from Losing Your Mind, by Bethany E. Casarjian and Diane H. Dillon, is wise beyond its title. The authors, both of whom have PhDs, offer insights from both Buddhism and psychology. The informal tone put me at ease and made me receptive the the different mantras; just reading the first few pages made me feel calmer. I am not exaggerating when I say that I want to buy this book for half the mothers I know (but due to limited funds I'm hoping that some of them will read about it here and get their own copy).

Non-Buddhist readers will find plenty of helpful strategies in this book; you don't need to have particular religious beliefs to take solace in the reminder that, for example, "this feeling is temporary," or "within me there is a peacefulness that cannot be disturbed." It's a relief to have someone say that all parents have frustrations and negative emotions, but we don't need to be ruled by them. The authors point out, "Within each mantra is the simple though powerful opportunity to grasp that there is always another way to see the situation, a way that potentially offers greater peace, comfort, acceptance, and balance than our initial response."

3 Comments:

Blogger Kaela said...

I wrote, "THIS FEELING IS TEMPORARY," on a note card and tacked it to my bulletin board. It's something I need to remember because I don't function well with feeling uncomfortable.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Precie said...

Hmm...something to add to my Amazon list! Thanks for the review!

7:01 AM  
Blogger emily said...

Wow! I think this book is calling out to some of my mommy friends! Thank you sooo much! I will pass on the information to them (or a direct link to your blog! Even better!). The mantras are great for anyone--even someone who is not a mommy. Like when I feel frustrated or angry at something or frustrated with illness. Like you, I'd like to buy it for everyone, but funds don't allow for that! Emily

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home