Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I've Had It With Utilities

Last week, our water was out for nearly 8 hours one day. It was a pain, especially with a recently potty-trained toddler.

Then, on Friday, our friends who we were supposed to stay with in Chicago called to see if we still wanted to come even though their power had been knocked out during some big thunderstorms. We decided to go ahead, and fortunately they regained power shortly before we arrived. What we didn't realize until Saturday, though, is that about the time their power came back on, ours went out back in St. Louis. Our power came back on 24 hours later, so we returned to suspect meat and ice cream in the freezer. The cats seem to have survived a day without air conditioning in 100-degree weather.

Then our phone was out for long periods of time, and with it, the internet connection. I felt myself slowly going mad--especially on Tuesday, which was supposed to be a work day for me. Our phone is now back on (although the line still crackles with static), but I can only access the internet if I take my laptop over by the window and hop on someone else's unsecured wireless connection.

None of this is conducive to deep blog posts.

4 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

Sorry you're having a rough go of things. Hang in there!

5:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, in any case, on the potty training. Any advice would be much appreciated. :) Sorry about the utilities failing you, though.

(It's like the end of the world when our power goes out and the little man's nightlight can't be on. ("Too dark, Mommy! TOO DARK!!!"))

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your recurring utility troubles. We lost our electricity here last Saturday evening in a fierce thunderstorm. But it was back on sometime during the night, so we didn't have to suffer too long. (And the refrig and freezer stayed cold enough!) Best of luck for an end to your utility madness.

6:12 AM  
Blogger emily said...

I always somehow wish when the power goes out I could treat it as an 'adventure' of sorts--but instead I, too, want to go mad. I find that everything I use for my health requires electricity and I'm miserable without! UGH!
As for my computer though, it never works. Most days I would like to throw it out the window! Yet, it's my link to the outside world. What a conunudrum! haha.

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home