Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Missouri Miscellany

We're #1--and not just in crime! According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "St. Louis leads the country in infection rates for two of the most common sexually transmitted diseases": gonorrhea and chlamydia. According to the Post-Dispatch, "The numbers are deceptive, said Dale Wrigley of the City of St. Louis Department of Health. When the entire metropolitan area is included, the region ranks fifth in gonorrhea and sixth in chlamydia infection rates. " Fifth and sixth? Why, that's MUCH better!

*

From the Raising My Blood Pressure Department: Today's paper confirms the urgent emails I've been receiving from Planned Parenthood: Governor Blunt's Task Force for the Impact of Abortion on Women is made up solely of pro-criminalization activists. The task force has been meeting more or less in secret; the most recent meeting was this past Monday, a state holiday. Since the Governor is already starting from the belief that "abortion has a negative impact on Missouri children, Missouri women, Missouri men," one wonders why he feels the need to appoint a task force to examine the "psychological, emotional, physical side effects" of abortion. It just made me sad that the co-chair of the task force said (by way of justifying the exclusion of opposing viewpoints), "If the governor wants information on how to reduce abortions in Missouri, he certainly wouldn't go to Planned Parenthood." And why not? Has no one on the task force read the research that suggests access to birth control is the best way to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies, and thus abortions?

*

And, in lighter news, the Missouri town of Pine Lawn has now banned saggy pants. That's right--show skin or undies and you risk a $100 fine. Parents can be fined $500 for the attire of their offspring. At least for women, fashion seems to be on their side these days; last week I went shopping and managed to find not one but TWO pairs of pants with a waistband that fell--gasp!--somewhere in the vicinity of my waist. Entertainment Weekly (one of my few sources of fashion information) confirms that higher-waisted jeans are now in.


*

One thing from the paper that makes me unequivocally happy: Rocking chairs have arrived at Lambert International Airport. I first encountered rocking chairs in the airport in Charlotte many years ago, and I couldn't help smiling. I love the peace of arriving at the concourse and settling into a rocking chair to read or watch the planes take off. (In my airport fantasy, I also have a cup of strong coffee.) Now if St. Louis could only attract more (and cheaper) flights....

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

for hot saggers 24/7 join saggersgonewild.com hto guys in saggy pants !!!

5:38 PM  
Blogger Tess said...

Oh. My. Goodness.

I think I'll pass.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

We've obviously not been not talking about sex nearly enough. Only when people are completely uneducated about all of this will the scourge cease. Help us Fred Thompson, you're are only hope!

Oh well, at least the Minutemen aren't trying to build a fence around every girl once she hits puberty. That would probably be considered distributing birth control.

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home