Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

The Adventures of Grouchy Pregnant Lady

Last Saturday was the last StudioSTL workshop of 2008: graphic narrative. I thought it sounded like a cool topic, but I felt utterly unqualified to teach it. Luckily we found James and Jason, who thought spending four hours teaching teenagers how to express themselves through words and pictures sounded like fun. They assured everyone that, when it comes to drawing, "Ugly is okay," and soon all of us were creating characters and drawing on the giant Post-It notes stuck up on the walls.


I am still trying to convince myself that ugly is okay, but I will share the comic I drew. I did a few sketches Saturday and then finished it today. (You can click on each picture to see a larger version.)








10 Comments:

Blogger Kaela said...

I love it! Very expressive! And it's not ugly!

5:19 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I LOVE it!!!

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not ugly at all, and what a story she'll have in her baby book someday!

5:26 PM  
Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5:54 PM  
Blogger Precie said...

LOL at the oxytocin aura!

And it's GREAT! Not ugly!

6:24 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

LOL, I want to hang this on my wall! I'm right behind you, weird taste in the mouth and all. Whoever made up the myth of "pregnancy glow" is on my list. :)

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes yes yes yes yes

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tess!
You are so FAR from ugly. To watch you work the kids -- pure magic and beauty. Here's to babies!

Beth

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tess! That's fantastic! How did you learn how to draw?? It was so sweet.

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your drawing and words are humorous! Thanks for sharing.

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home