Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Friday, December 05, 2008

Let It Snow!

Friends from Back East have asked if it ever snows in Missouri--and indeed it does. We had our first dusting on Sunday, which coincided with putting up the Christmas tree. Since then, we've had a few flurries, and we're expecting more snow early next week.

I love snow, but I wish St. Louisians were better at plowing properly. I can remember in Pennsylvania lying in bed early in the morning and listening for the snowplow. If I saw the flashing orange lights and heard it rumble down our dead-end street by 6 in the morning, I knew there'd be school that day.

Here are a few pictures of the first snowfall:



Chomsky, our gnome, remained stoic:




Some stubborn leaves linger on the oak tree out front:


4 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

That is the geekiest, most excellent name for a gnome I have ever heard. It made my day.

4:30 PM  
Blogger QAMom said...

I never really realized or appreciated how well the roads were maintained in PA during the winter. Much better than they were in WI and here in OH.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Lovely pics!

No snow here.. we may get a flurry tonight.. but considering it was in the 70's lastnight, and this morning, it won't stick.

We have a stubborn horseapple refusing to drop off the barren trees.

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone else shares your taste in gnome naming...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmwqRLxa7F0

Go to 1:33 in this clip.

Found this while looking around for video clips of the "Ordinary Radicals"...well worth looking up in their own right.

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home