Ben Goes to School--Update
When we went to pick Ben up, I didn't know what to expect. "I'm afraid he'll be snotty, crying, and shivering in a corner--" I began.
"Smearing his own feces on the wall," Tom added helpfully.
"No," I said. "But maybe rocking back and forth."
But instead, we watched through the one-way glass as Ben cheerfully got his diaper changed and wandered around the room. When Ben saw us, he seemed happy enough--we both got hugs--and then he went back to playing. To get him to leave, we had to bribe him with a promise of a drink from the water fountain.
According to the day care's daily report, "Ben had a great first day. He played outside on the cars and went down the slide. He loved the trains and cars. He colored with crayons and played with the bumble balls. He was very happy and did great with all the other children."
So much for my fears of a miserable, abandoned, unforgiving child. They said he fussed when he got up from his nap, but he does that when he's with me. When he wanted reassurance throughout the day, he would go up to one of the caregivers, turn their face towards him with one hand, and ask for a hug.
Somehow, Tom and I have managed to produce an extroverted, non-neurotic toddler. While I was worring about What It Means To Have Abandoned My Child, Ben was having a blast without me. And tomorrow, we get to have fun together.
"Smearing his own feces on the wall," Tom added helpfully.
"No," I said. "But maybe rocking back and forth."
But instead, we watched through the one-way glass as Ben cheerfully got his diaper changed and wandered around the room. When Ben saw us, he seemed happy enough--we both got hugs--and then he went back to playing. To get him to leave, we had to bribe him with a promise of a drink from the water fountain.
According to the day care's daily report, "Ben had a great first day. He played outside on the cars and went down the slide. He loved the trains and cars. He colored with crayons and played with the bumble balls. He was very happy and did great with all the other children."
So much for my fears of a miserable, abandoned, unforgiving child. They said he fussed when he got up from his nap, but he does that when he's with me. When he wanted reassurance throughout the day, he would go up to one of the caregivers, turn their face towards him with one hand, and ask for a hug.
Somehow, Tom and I have managed to produce an extroverted, non-neurotic toddler. While I was worring about What It Means To Have Abandoned My Child, Ben was having a blast without me. And tomorrow, we get to have fun together.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
5 Comments:
It kinda hurts my motherly ego when I realize they can survive well without me for brief periods. My husband and I went to Cancun for five days in January and the girls stayed with my parents. Juliette didn't ask where I was until day 4. Hmmmm.....
Thomas has started pre-school recently and I had some of the same fears. I was mostly afriad that he wooudn't get along well with the other kids. It was a fear that was unfounded though. He has a great time there.
Yeah Ben!
It used to hurt my ego as well, Salome, but then I realized all the things I could get done while I'm a free woman! Woo Hoo!!
Camryn started "school" last week & loved it as well. It's so good for both of I didn't even mark the event with a Blog. Very typical response for the poor second baby.
Tess: Glad to hear that things went so well. I had to laugh when you sounded so shocked that your child is not neurotic (yes, that's Neurotic with an "n"). :) Anyway... I think it was Anna Quindlen who wrote that most children will not remember if they spent every waking moment of their childhoods with Mommy or not; what they will remember is whether Mommy was happy during the time they did spend together. It sounds like you have made a wise choice. :)
(Besides, it is probably great for him to be able to socialize with other children... unlike Jeremy, who is going to turn into a hermit unless I can get over my allergy to playgroups!)
Oops, sorry, I accidentally posted that last comment as "Anonymous." Although I'm sure you could figure out who it was, what with the Jeremy reference. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home