Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Bite-Sized Mini Posts



Why We Still Need Newspapers


The 4-part series in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch this week about how the police department mishandled rape cases is exactly the sort of thing we need newspapers for. The paper conducted a long-term investigation into the way the St. Louis police mishandled rape cases by pressuring women to sign waivers, trying to screen cases instead of letting them be prosecuted, downgrading cases by using memos instead of reports, and, amazingly, shredding those memos even when the incidents were still well within the statute of limitations. Bloggers are great at responding to news and generating buzz, but most of us lack the time and the resources to conduct such investigations. If the Post-Dispatch hadn't started asking hard questions, the police department would no doubt have continued their shameful practices.

***

A Sensitive Subject

Maybe it's because I blogged about donuts, but the Doonesbury comics from yesterday and today make me feel a little defensive.


***

Another Reason to Give Your Child Coffee

It's the antioxidants, baby!

Photo by fatllama on flickr.com.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

mmmmm. Coffee and donuts. Great post. From now on I'm going to try to credit my source if I get an idea from someone else's blog.

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Tess, the Doonesbury thing...it's just proof that great minds think alike.

No, wait, you're a Dunkin Donuts gal, aren't you, you heathen? Well, my great mind thinks Krispy Kreme and I guess I'll forgive you this one indiscretion....=)

12:41 PM  
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

I don't have any donuts. Now I'm sad.

6:08 AM  
Blogger An American Believer said...

Thank you! Now I don't have to feel guilty, but can feel good about allowing my coffee loving nine year old to enjoy when he has a chance.

Beautiful photo. Makes me want coffee, mmm.

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just so you know, you can find antioxidants in practically anything that grows...

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home