Blogging for Relief
Today Arch Words is joining the blogging relief effort with over 700 other blogs. Each blogger picks a charity and encourages readers to donate; I've chosen the American Red Cross. Now, I'm not sure how many readers I actually have, and I'd like to think that any regular ones would be the kind of people who would want to donate even without a blogger suggesting they do so. But doing this helps me to feel part of a unified effort. In joining forces with others in the blogosphere, I feel a little less alone when I click a few buttons and give money.
When I heard about the refugees on CNN, I felt horrible for the kids in Texas who will have to start school in an unfamiliar place. That made me think about the homeless people everywhere, and I wished I had donated to the local school supply drives. Every city has shelters for homeless families. Their homelessness might not have been caused by something as dramatic as a hurricane--they might be homeless thanks to drug addiction, mental illness, domestic violence, or just plain poverty--but they need our help too. If we feel helpless because we're far away from the Gulf Coast flooding, we need to remember that we don't need to travel hundreds of miles to find people to help.
Instapundit's Charity Roundup
TTLB Katrina Relief Page
Log Your Contribution (if you want to)
Technorati tags: flood aid, Hurricane Katrina
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis

2 Comments:
I understand how you feel. It makes me feel better knowing I'm part of something bigger, especially when that something is charity for people who are without. You've got my support. My family is donating as we are able.
Thanks for the blogging...
Post a Comment
<< Home