Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Friday, September 02, 2005

Two Poems



Today, I can't write anything more about the aftermath of the hurricane. Instead, I give you two poems by Emily Dickinson, and some lovely photographs.


Flowers -- Well -- if anybody
Can the ecstasy define --
Half a transport -- half a trouble --
With which flowers humble men:
Anybody find the fountain
From which floods so contra flow --
I will give him all the Daisies
Which upon the hillside blow.

Too much pathos in their faces
For a simple breast like mine --
Butterflies from St. Domingo
Cruising round the purple line --
Have a system of aesthetics --
Far superior to mine.


*********







Where I have lost, I softer tread --
I sow sweet flower from garden bed --
I pause above that vanished head
And mourn.

Whom I have lost, I pious guard
From accent harsh, or ruthless word --
Feeling as if their pillow heard,
Though stone!

When I have lost, you'll know by this --
A Bonnet black -- A dusk surplice --
A little tremor in my voice Like this!

Why, I have lost, the people know
Who dressed in flocks of purest snow
Went home a century ago
Next Bliss!



Both poems by Emily Dickinson. Photographs from flickr.com, created by (in order) indiekid, mookiechan, and colombiagirl (last two).

6 Comments:

Blogger Tess said...

Wow, who know the spambots loved Emily Dickinson?

Tess

5:00 AM  
Blogger Precie said...

Good grief, Tess! You really know how to turn the spambots on!

Lovely post, though...a quiet refuge this morning.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Seri said...

Tess,
what lovely photos! And even more inspiring poetry. Thanks for sharing, it's just what I needed to read today.
A

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya

Nice Blog! Thanks for stopping by mine. I love Dickinson's work. Come back anytime to read my blog. :)

12:38 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Beautiful...thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you'll be back, as I plan to read you again.

Spambots are obnoxious! I get less comments now, but at least their usually live. :)

Hannah
www.millinersdream.blogspot.com

12:43 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

I linked you to my blog...

Glad you found me, so I could find you!

Hh

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home