Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Sunday, October 09, 2005

The Arch: An Insider's Perspective

In a follow-up to last week's photo essay on the Arch, this week we follow our heroine in and up.

My brother Jay was in town, so I decided to go up in the Arch with him. When I went through the metal detector, it beeped; the security guard took me aside and asked me to lift each pant leg to mid-calf. I have no idea whether he thought I was carrying a knife or just wanted a better look at my ankles.

Because we had e-tickets, we bypassed the long lines and waited to board the tram. There are eight cars in the North Tower--more like pods than elevators, really, since they're very small and somewhat egg-shaped. My blood pressure started to rise as soon as I got in.
















Jay was much more cool. We were crammed in with three young adults who were on a two-year service mission. It was very cozy. The pod lurched and screeched towards the top for four minutes.








Once up there, we were free to join the gallery of people looking out the narrow windows.

For a good view, we had to lean forward, which was vertigo-inducing.


We could see the Old Courthouse, where the original trial of the Dred Scott case was held.


















We could also see Bush Stadium, home to the Cardinals until the end of the season, and next to it the new baseball stadium being built.






And, of course, the Mississippi River.


Jay wanted to figure out whether, if you threw a baseball from the top of the Arch, you could hit the river. I thought so, but I realized I remember virtually nothing of my high school and college physics classes. Wouldn't vectors be useful in answering that question?

The ride down was much more pleasant than the ride up because it was faster and we had a pod to ourselves. Before we got in the car to go home, Ben showed Jay some sights along the Mississippi.

This afternoon, Ben has been saying "Uncle. Airport. Plane." (Okay, it sounds like pay, but I know what he's saying.) Now that all our houseguests of the past 10 days are gone, I'm sad again that we've moved so far from friends and family. But it's only two and a half months till Christmas....

6 Comments:

Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

SO COOL...the only time I've EVER seen my Dad scared--really scared--was when I was a kid and we were "lurching" up inside the arch...!

Hh

9:59 PM  
Blogger JT said...

omigosh, those are incredible shots. I've always been intrigued by that arch, but never even been to Missouri, let alone St. Louis. Thanks for given us an inside view.

As for the AG doll thing, don't worry. We can't afford those dolls either--it's grandma's special treat for her granddaughters. She loves to do it.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

Hope you don't mind, but i am going to throw up now....

The mere sight of you all crammed in the hallway, and those low ceilings and seeing how high up you are makes me want to go outside and breath air and dust.

Thanks for sharing though!! :)LMAO!!

9:38 PM  
Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

WOW...I am proud of you for beating your vertigo and making it to the top! I just love the pictures. Also, um, your brother is kind of hot! LOL

- wlzidcrt

5:15 AM  
Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

OH...and, can I tell you how confusing it is that "writermama" posted on your thread...I thought you were going all multiple personality on us.

5:16 AM  
Blogger SAS said...

Ummm, your brother IS hot, and your family is really beautiful.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home