Elmo: Friend or Foe?
Shortly after Ben was born, I read Consuming Kids: The Hostile Takeover of Childhood, by Susan Linn. The book thoroughly freaked me out. Linn shows how advertisers start targeting children in infancy, and work to create parent/child conflict in the hopes that parents will give in and buy products for their children that are at best unnecessary and at worst unwholesome.I vowed not to get Ben toys with licensed characters on them. Linn describes how, in her own therapeutic practice, children are less creative with branded toys; given a stuffed Cookie Monster, for example, kids will use a particular voice and only have him say and act what they've seen on TV. Linn asks why companies make things for babies covered in corporate characters and logos: "They might be marketing to parents and grandparents attracted to a particular familiar brand, but they also believe it provides a jump-start on brand loyalty that could last through preschool and early elementary school, if not, for companies like Ralph Lauren, for life."
I wanted to resist the mainstream consumer culture with my children. But before Ben was born, my mom bought the first Elmo. It was an ice pack with an Elmo cover; she thought it was cute. For Ben's first Christmas, my sister-in-law gave him a stuffed Big Bird and the Sesame Street Activity Atom, an obnoxious toy that makes noise whenever you trip on it and seems to scream "I love crack!" (We figured out after a while it was Oscar the Grouch saying "I love trash!") For Ben's first birthday, my former boss gave him a Sesame Street Speak and Say, and he got a Cookie Monster video. I ignored all the licensed characters; after all, we weren't buying them for him, and he didn't know Elmo from his teddy bear.
But then one day I picked him up from day care, and he pointed to one of the other little kids, who was holding a stuffed toy. "Elmo!" he said, and it began. Suddenly, he was aware of all the Elmos. I realized to my horror that his Pampers have Sesame Street characters on them, including Elmo dancing with Big Bird on the back of every single one. Now, in addition to checking on his belly button at every diaper change, Ben checks on Elmo.
We don't even let him watch TV! (More on that another time.) So now, despite my best effort, Ben knows Big Bird, Elmo, and Cookie Monster. (He's especially interested in Cookie Monster, because he has recently discovered the delights of cookies.) I'm torn. Is this a humorous post? Ha ha, despite my best efforts and my puritanical preparent thinking, I've given in to Elmo! Or is it more sinister? Despite my best efforts, the forces of marketing have slithered their way into my child's life!
When I was a baby, one of my nicknames was Tessie Bird. My parents' explanation for this was that I had a big head, and looked a little like Tweetie Bird. Throughout my childhood, I collected assorted Tweetie Bird paraphernalia: a hat, a keychain, a shirt. Am I forever in Warner Brother's thrall? Probably not. Even if Ben sustains a strange devotion to Elmo for the rest of his life, maybe it will inspire him to work to keep PBS well-funded.
But I do think Linn makes good points, especially about how characters on TV shows are used to inspire children to want everything from backpacks to junk food. We live in a materialistic culture, and I believe that it's our job as parents to help children navigate that culture wisely. I may have given in on Elmo, but that doesn't mean I'm going to start letting Ben watch TV for hours a day or have every Elmo toy he sees. I'm a big believer in thinking about our parenting choices, rather than accepting all the assumptions our culture would have us make.
Image of Elmo from pbs.org.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
9 Comments:
Yes, I thought it was a humerous post. "I love crack!" lol You made me laugh out loud.
I think Linn makes some good points, but I also think it is nearly impossible to avoid the interaction with these characters entirely.
I have been guilty of letting my daughter have everything that is Pooh. For a long time she would only dress in clothing with Pooh on it, but she grew out of it. She hasn't worn Pooh in years. In fact, she barely speaks about him at all.
I love reading the choices you make--it brings to mind "conscious parenting", which I teach in my classes...not making generic choices, but thoughtful ones AND individual decisions for your child and family.
Hh
We consider this for our 16 m/o little guy as well and I have to believe that moderation is the key... John loves all his toys almost equally (name-brand or otherwise), but he probably loves our Verizon cell phones the best of all!
tracy
I think that Counting has it right. Moderation.
And may I say that Oh My Gosh, my son must instinctively know that my phone is one of the most expensive things I own because he would rather play with it than anything else!
I agree whole-heartedly about parents monitoring what their children are exposed to. I've read other articles in which the authors were for banning and/or restricting advertising to children under a certain age. This would mean the government would have to be involved in what is appropriate material for children. Anyway, I enjoyed reading your post!
I think you are doing an admirable job of navigating the difficult terrain of parenting in today's society. If you have to give in to some brand, at least it is PBS's Sesame Street, which despite its resembling the rest of children's consumer culture more all the time is still arguably less harmful.
I also enjoyed your post for its humorous tone, but for the rest of this post, I'm going to get serious and political.
I agree with people like Linn who think this is a serious problem. As your experience indicates, anyone who believes that parents can simply make choices for their children is living in a libertarian fantasy world that doesn't exist.
I'd like to follow the anonymous poster into the more contentious terrain of public policy. However, I disagree with the anonymous poster's insinuation that the government shouldn't do anything about this. Parents don't stand a chance on their own. Government is how a democratic society makes choices about how to level the playing field (sadly the current federal government seems more interested in tilting it more to the powerful). Right now, big corporations marketing to children have a huge advantage of monetary resources to influence what children think and feel. This is for real, it is not some sinister conspiracy theory. There are marketing professionals whose careers revolve around designing ways to make kids want things. They have a lot of power, and it needs to be checked by restricting or banning advertising to children.
What possible defense could there be to trying to manipulate young children through advertising? No matter how "free" to make choices you believe mature adults to be, you can't possibly think that children are born with such capabilities already developed. Help give parents a better chance by restraining the profit-hungry greedheads who run big corporations from raising our children.
Reclaiming childhood! This is a moral issue that has the potential to unite left and right, for we all want to give parents the chance to raise their children to have good values, as free as possible from the pernicious influence of commercialization.
To read more about this, I recommend the following book:
Juliet B. Schor, _Born to Buy: The Commercialized Child and the New Consumer Culture_ (New York: Scribner, 2004).
I agree with Christian to a point. While I think that morally and ethically Christian is right on track and his comment about parent's being unable to completely control what their child is exposed to is a correct assessment, I disagree that government should get involved. I'm always hesitant to give the government more power to control what we do or see or consume. This job is best left up to the parents and I admire Tess for the way she's being Ben's advocate.
It's interesting to read all these responses--I was hoping other people would give their perspectives on this one.
When I was looking for a picture of Elmo for this post, I went to the PBS Kids site and found the Sesame Street section. Ben saw all the pictures of the characters, and for the rest of the day whenever he came near the computer, he'd point up at it and say, "Bert! Bert!" Sigh....
Tess
My kids watch only Sesame Street now, but we have (in the past) watched Teletubbies, Between the Lions, and Dragon Tales (not all in one day!). I cut it back to only SS when I realized that they were becoming too fixated with the examples of play and imagination as defined by the shows they watch. We have a few favorite movies that they love (Blue's Musical Movie - even though we don't have cable and they don't watch Blue, Babe, Nemo, and The Beatrix Potter Animated Collection), and which I love for those emergencies when dinner isn't ready!
But when the TV is off, they play. They have an Elmo, a Paddington, a Teletubbies thing. However, their favorite toys at the moment are an assortment of little bits of junk (a car, a cup, some paint brushes, a set of stacking rings, blocks, etc) that they use as "food" for their "picnic" (this play started up after we had a picnic by the lake). They also love to put their babies to sleep, to "make dough" (I bake bread), and other mimic behaviors that follow from our daily interactions. These, I have found, are far more influential on their imaginations and their resulting play than any one commercial toy. To my thinking, I'll just let Elmo be another doll in their toybox. Nothing too special. I hope to avoid the "forbidden fruit" that can result when parents are TOO strict about keeping things from their kids, especially when peers are more than likely to inadvertantly introduce the concept at some point (shoes, backpack, shirt, etc). I prefer instead to provide my time, my example, and my companionship as guides for their development, in the hopes that (at least in these early years) I can offset whatever branding they will receive from popular culture.
I loved Thundercats and Star Wars when I was a kid, and I turned out fine. But perhaps that was because, subtly, my mom steered me gently away from Barbie and other girl self-esteem-issue toys when she had the chance, and when the TV was off she dedicated herself to making sure we understood that there was more to fun than the television.
Stream-of-consciousness posting - I'm not even going to look back on this and rethink it :)
Post a Comment
<< Home