Saturday Art
'Next week I'll be working on the final finished drawing.'
That was the final sentence of my post from last week. 'Working' has consisted of this:

This is the roll of paper I bought on Thursday from Pearl Art Supplies. If I'm buying paper on Thursday and that's the extent of work I've completed on a project that should take hours and hours, and it's now Saturday of the same week, well, let's just say it's not done yet.
I could give you lots and lots of reasons why I was so busy that I couldn't do any more of it, but the real truth is that once a project has multiple steps, my anxiety about completeing it rises exponentially. Once I'm anxious about a project I need a lot of time between steps to reassure myself that this is worth doing and that I even know what I'm doing.
So instead of excuses (which I still gave you - see above), I give you this, a tour of my desk:

and the pencil tray:

After talking to my friend, Regina, last night about how I was having such a hard time getting started she asked me what I was using to complete the drawing. When I told her pencil, her eyes bugged out and she said, That will take you FOREVER in that size! Are you CRAZY?
I told her how I wasn't sure where I'd do the drawing because of its size and how I should keep from smudging it as I drew. She brought up the fallacy that Bigger is More Artful which seems to be the belief in art school and classes. So I thought about this and decided to give myself and break make it smaller.
Next week: smaller, more completed.
That was the final sentence of my post from last week. 'Working' has consisted of this:

This is the roll of paper I bought on Thursday from Pearl Art Supplies. If I'm buying paper on Thursday and that's the extent of work I've completed on a project that should take hours and hours, and it's now Saturday of the same week, well, let's just say it's not done yet.
I could give you lots and lots of reasons why I was so busy that I couldn't do any more of it, but the real truth is that once a project has multiple steps, my anxiety about completeing it rises exponentially. Once I'm anxious about a project I need a lot of time between steps to reassure myself that this is worth doing and that I even know what I'm doing.
So instead of excuses (which I still gave you - see above), I give you this, a tour of my desk:

and the pencil tray:

After talking to my friend, Regina, last night about how I was having such a hard time getting started she asked me what I was using to complete the drawing. When I told her pencil, her eyes bugged out and she said, That will take you FOREVER in that size! Are you CRAZY?
I told her how I wasn't sure where I'd do the drawing because of its size and how I should keep from smudging it as I drew. She brought up the fallacy that Bigger is More Artful which seems to be the belief in art school and classes. So I thought about this and decided to give myself and break make it smaller.
Next week: smaller, more completed.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
1 Comments:
I can just picture Regina saying that. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
Post a Comment
<< Home