Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Saturday Art

I Thought Overall It Would Be a Damaging Friendship

I Thought Overall It Would Be a Damaging Friendship


So I'm finally finished. I made it smaller. It's only 9"x12" and yet it still took me six hours. Good thinking, Regina!

I had only a handful of songs on my version of iTunes on the computer next to me (my husband is the one who finds music in the relationship). I was too anxious to finish up the drawing so I just played them on repeat. Oh god. What a mistake. I will never again be able to listen to these five songs:

'Horrible Day,' by Frank Black and the Catholics
'It'll Be a Breeze,' 'Shapes,' and 'Scared Straight,' by The Long Winters
'The Dark Lord Lament' by Harry and the Potters (a very funny song unless you've heard it twenty times over four hours).

But they did carry me along in the drawing process. I began the drawing in pencil which over three days took about two hours. Then today I colored it in. That took the bulk of the time which was about four hours. Had I done this life size... I don't know where I would be now. Probably giving up on art all together. I'm always one difficult project away from never drawing again. So little faith I have.

7 Comments:

Blogger Tess said...

I like it! It looks like a playing card.

Funny you should write about giving up art altogether.... I got two writing rejections in two days, so today I was brainstorming in my journal about where to go from here. I feel like I keep trying and failing as far as fiction is concerned. One of my options was "Stop writing." Based on past experience, I probably won't pick that one, but I did think about it for awhile.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Wow, very good. I'm extremely impressed.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Francesca said...

There are lots of things I love about this -- for example, I love how the "practical" Kaela is eyeballing "artist" Kaela as if calculating how long it would take to kill her with a wooden spoon. Meanwhile the artist gazes serenely off, as if practical life is of little or no consequence. Yet, the brush is held as fiercely as the spoon.

Groovy, yummy, great art.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Kaela said...

I wouldn't be making anything if I didn't have you all as an audience.

Thank you, thank you, thank you

5:19 PM  
Blogger Tess said...

Here, Kaela--I found this poem on a site recommended by Christian_Left:

The Real Work
by
Wendell Berry


It may be that when we no longer know what to do
we have come our real work,

and that when we no longer know which way to go
we have come to our real journey.

The mind that is not baffled is not employed.

The impeded stream is the one that sings.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Tess said...

The line breaks look funny, but you get the idea.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Kellee said...

Awesome!

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home