Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Interactive Thanksgiving Post

Today I don't have a lot to say, so I'm stealing an idea from Ben at Open Switch: I'll ask you, my readers, 5 questions, and you can post your answers. Yes, today's post requires audience participation!

1. What is your favorite Thanksgiving food?
2. Are you traveling or staying home for Thanksgiving this year?
3. Do you watch TV on Thanksgiving? If so, what?
4. Have you ever been to a movie on Thanksgiving?
5. If you celebrate Christmas, do you start listening to Christmas music (a) as soon as possible, (b) after Thanksgiving, or (c) once Advent starts? Or do you (d) not listen to Christmas
music?

7 Comments:

Blogger Tess said...

Okay, I'll start:

1. I don't think I have a favorite. It's the combination of turkey, gravy, green beans, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, fresh bread, and pumpkin pie all in one meal.

2. Traveling. We're having Thanksgiving with my aunt and uncle in Chicago for the first time, which should be interesting. I'll miss going home, though.

3. I never choose to, but sometimes someone will turn on the Macy's parade or a football game.

4. Yes. Tom and I saw Harry Potter one year when we didn't go home. It felt weird because my family would never dream of going to a movie on Thanksgiving.

5. I try to hold out for b.

5:42 PM  
Blogger KA said...

What a fun post. I'm so excited about Thanksgiving and I'm going to have to do my best not to literally "eat for two".

1. Cold sweet potato pie. Great for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert!

2. Staying home after 3 years of missing the whole evening because of work.

3. Yes, NFL & the Macy's parade

4. No

5. Don't celebrate, but I used to wait until after Thanksgiving.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

1. What is your favorite Thanksgiving food?
Stuffing. No contest.

2. Are you traveling or staying home for Thanksgiving this year?
Staying home. Every other year we go to my parent's house in Chicago.

3. Do you watch TV on Thanksgiving? If so, what?
No. I like spending time talking with family I don't get to see very often.

4. Have you ever been to a movie on Thanksgiving?
Not on Thanksgiving, but I have been on Christmas day.

5. If you celebrate Christmas, do you start listening to Christmas music (a) as soon as possible, (b) after Thanksgiving, or (c) once Advent starts? Or do you (d) not listen to Christmas
music?

(b) directly after Thanksgiving.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Precie said...

1. What is your favorite Thanksgiving food?
My MIL's candied sweet potatoes.
2. Are you traveling or staying home for Thanksgiving this year?
Going to the local Holiday Inn Thanksgiving buffet...so not traveling far.
3. Do you watch TV on Thanksgiving? If so, what? Yup, some of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and then It's a Wonderful Life.
4. Have you ever been to a movie on Thanksgiving?
No.
5. If you celebrate Christmas, do you start listening to Christmas music (a) as soon as possible, (b) after Thanksgiving, or (c) once Advent starts? Or do you (d) not listen to Christmas
music? I've already started so I guess that's (a)!

1:06 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

1. Sweet potatoes--or though I haven't ever had it ON Thanksgiving--sweet potato PIE. Mmmmm... But I have to agree with Tess that the combination of everything is just too perfect.

2.) Staying home. Have rarely spent a Thanksgiving elsewhere since we married (in '83) with only four (?) different years at various friend's homes. (But my folks are coming Dec. 21 to 27 this year!)

3.) Yes! specials or sports usually...

4.) Yes! or the day after while everyone shops.

5.) after Thanksgiving usually...

:)
Hh

1:55 PM  
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

1. My mom makes a casserole of cauliflower & broccoli smothered in velveta and baked golden with a layer of crumbled Ritz crackers and butter on top. We call it California blend, and I can make myself sick eating so much of it.

2. Traveling. We'll be driving through Chicago on Thursday morning to arrive in time for lunch at my brother's house and then dinner at my parent's farm, all in northern Indiana.

3. Maybe the parade - not that interested. Mostly I get comfy on the couch and doze to whatever is on.

4. Nope.

5. Our family tradition is to listen to it for the first time of the season while we eat Thanksgiving dinner. Generally it's Bing Crosby or the Nutcracker, something nice in the background as we feast.

I'm hungry now...

7:43 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

1. What is your favorite Thanksgiving food? Definately the mix.. any one item standing alone is insignifigant.

2. Are you traveling or staying home for Thanksgiving this year? Traveling to mom and sisters house.

3. Do you watch TV on Thanksgiving? If so, what? Parades in the AM with coffee

4. Have you ever been to a movie on Thanksgiving? yup.. many many many moons ago my uncle took us to see "Modern Problems"

5. If you celebrate Christmas, do you start listening to Christmas music (a) as soon as possible, (b) after Thanksgiving, or (c) once Advent starts? Or do you (d) not listen to Christmas
music? probably about a week before.. when EVERY station on the radio is playing it in one form or another... Alternative xmas music?

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home