Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Splogs

In "The Technologist" column of this week's Newsweek, Steven Levy discusses the annoyance of "splogs," or spam blogs. If you've never seen a spam blog, try clicking the "next blog" button at the top of this screen a few times; more than likely, you'll come across a gibberish blog with links to other sites. Splogs make sites look more important by creating more links to them, which in turn can raise advertising revenues. A few weeks ago, when I commented on several stories in Newsweek, Blogger made me use word verification before they'd publish my next post; evidently, they were suspicious I was running a splog.

Levy also notes that the fact Newsweek links to blogs discussing its articles "is a service that authors of such stories cannot resist." So, Steven Levy, if you're reading my humble blog, do leave a comment on this post, or at least take my Thanksgiving poll from yesterday.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

Oh, I hate splogs. I didn't know that blogger was asking for word verification for posts now too. That's unfortunate.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Tess said...

It only asked the one time, when I had a lot of links back to Newsweek. Now it seems to have realized I'm a real person.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

I love the origin of the word SPLOG:

Start with the WEB from the World Wide Web

Then add LOG, a shortened version of CATALOGUE, meaning a record of events or items

WEB + LOG = BLOG

Then you have to add SPAM, which is short for Hormel's SPICED HAM.

SPAM, of course, comes from the Monty Python skit about Spam, where that word (repeated at great length) became monotonous, annoying, and ultimately something to ignore. Hence the application of the word SPAM to junk e-mail and ads.

So SPAM + BLOG = SPLOG

It's really brilliant, as the English language adapts to societal needs and cultural influences right before our eyes.

Taken to an extreme, over several hundred years, you can see how Canterbury Tales is considered both "English" and "desperately in need of translation." :)

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home