Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Raking Leaves


When I dreamed of owning a home, I conveniently left out thoughts of raking leaves. The first time I saw our house, I loved the fact that it was on a tree-lined street. I never looked up at the towering oaks and considered that, every year, every leaf on them would fall to the ground.

The first few minutes of leaf-raking are fun. I enjoy being outside under the blue sky, smelling the leaves, and feeling the last autumn warmth before winter sets in. Ben putters around the yard, playing with his ball or his bike. Then, after fifteen minutes, my back starts to hurt. Ten minutes later, I can feel blisters springing up on my hands.

Despite the aches and pains, I like being outside. Today I discovered violets and little pink flowers under the leaves:



By the end of the morning, I had made lots of leaf piles.




Leaf-raking is only part of the process, though; once they're raked, you have to put them somewhere. Our town will pick them up, but they charge a fee for every bag. We decided to make our own leaf compost heap. We used Ben to help pack the leaves in.



As I stood up and stretched my back, I looked up at the oak tree in the back yard and knew how Sisyphus felt. I already have a good guess what I'll be doing next weekend.

16 Comments:

Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

We have the VERY same problem--except the trees are all in neighbor's yards, especially a beautiful huge oak tree across the street. We sweep a few times a day INSIDE because the leave sweep in with every entry and exit from the house at this time of year.

Hh

1:47 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

I can't figure out how to e-mail you, or would send this that way...but thought you'd get a kick out of this post and the instructions for the poem...I may try it, but it looks like it would take some work!
Hh

http://papernapkin.typepad.com/papernapkin/2005/11/sunday_stanzas_.html#more

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, I LOVE that pic with Ben and the leaves! He is so cute. And wow, you did a lot of work. My hands hurt just looking at your piles! ; )

Jenn / Jaredsbride

4:21 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Tess--I did it! Will you?!

http://millinersdream.blogspot.com/2005/11/i-am-from.html

Hh

4:42 PM  
Blogger Tess said...

Let me check it out!

I just added an email address to my profile, but I don't know how often I'll check it.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

I love that picture of Ben...I actually love all your pics from today...wish my camera weren't broken...SIGH

word verification: wosnykd

6:49 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

I'm with you on leaf raking! It's fun for the first 5 minutes and then it gets painful. I'm anticipating this NOT getting better as I get older. :)

8:08 PM  
Blogger Shekky said...

Two words: padded gloves!

Well more than two words actually. Ben looks so serious and grown up in that picture!

This makes me thankful we have a pine tree in the front yard.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

Just so you know, compost made from oak leaves is practically useless and can actually be harmful to some plants. The leaves are almost without nutrition and they are very acidic.

Sorry!

And yes, the best part about living in our wooded apartment complex is that little dudes wearing headphones come by every Monday to mow and rake. I get to watch, this year at least.

6:35 AM  
Blogger tom said...

Just so you know, compost made from oak leaves is practically useless and can actually be harmful to some plants. The leaves are almost without nutrition and they are very acidic.

hmm. . . a google search of "compost oak leaves" turns up mostly people who say that isn't so.

anyway if acid is the problem, can't one just add a base? (my parents have added lime and say that works fine.)

8:23 AM  
Blogger Tess said...

Who knew that a leaf post would get so many comments?

8:40 AM  
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

I'll admit that my advice was based on other gardener's wisdom, not science. If it's not true, then I've heard it enough times it should be ;) Maybe it's just the reason people give themselves for raking leaves in the first place - don't want to hurt the grass... have to rake the darn things. If you find more about this, particularly oak leaves' effect on grass, let us know!

6:36 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I know all about that aching back and blistered hands. YIKES!
My abdominal laterals would get very sore on one side only. I'd feel like a I needed to switch hands and rake from the other side, but I'm not coordinated at all with my right hand. Odd about the oak leaves being bad for the yard.. on years when I had a little baby and wasn't able to rake, my grass would grow better.

10:02 AM  
Blogger tom said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:15 PM  
Blogger tom said...

here are some examples of oak leaf chatter:
here

and here

and something a little more authoritative:
here

i tried to find a scientific journal article, but i don't know my way around those search engines.

cheers,

tom

6:17 PM  
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

"Chop the leaves into small pieces with the lawn mower. Repeat several times until the leaves are no longer visible on the lawn. The small leaf pieces will fall to the soil and eventually decompose."

So when I was lazy last year and did exactly this (ignoring my mom's advice about the acidic leaves), I was actually doing my lawn a favor! Now, if only I could find a gentle way to tell mom "I told you so." Thx :)

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home