Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Thursday, November 03, 2005

New Slogan


St. Louis has a new slogan, which you can see in the box at right: St. Louis: Perfectly Centered. Remarkably Connected. Local leaders hope the slogan will spur business development.

I must confess I hate it. To begin with, there are the funky exclamation points. I guess they wanted an upside-down exclamation for the I, and then to make people realize it was an exclamation point and not just font weirdness, they put one right-side-up after "St". That weirdly emphasizes the word "Saint," though. The red exclamation marks remind me of the symbol for urgent emails, but I'm not sure why the name of the city needs to be urgent.

Then there's the whole "perfectly centered" business. Yes, St. Louis is towards the center of the country, but it's not perfectly centered, since it's closer to the East coast than the West. So that part is just plain wrong. Remarkably connected? Once again, St. Louis is in the middle of the country, so we're fairly accessible. We do have high-speed internet access here. But are those things "remarkable," or do they go without saying in a major city?

Blog readers, does your city or state have a slogan? If so, do you think it's effective? What do you think of this one?

Maybe I need a slogan for my blog: Arch? Words!: Left-Leaning. Somewhat Connected.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

Heh. Yeah, Georgia is working on a new slogan too. If it ain't broke...

I like your new slogan for Arch? Words! I say use it.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

They look like baseball bats...those exclamation points!!!

I also agree with Ben; good slogan for you.
:)
Hh

P.S. I thought of you when I posted poetry today on my blog.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

Cincinnati's slogan (my residence as of this past summer) is "Cincinnati, USA - All Together Surprising."

Like when the police chase down unarmed 17-yos and two-week-long riots break out. Surprising!

The best we have here is "Mad about Madison." Which sucks, obviously. It should have something about riots, too.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

LMAO!! Connecticut is the Constitution State or the Charter Oak State. Very odd. I do think I remember seeing a Norwalk slogan on a tax bill...hmmmm...obviously gets a low score in the memorable department. Funny blogs! I just had to catch up on a few. Love Ben's quilt! AND, I went through a bizarre period of my life where I was completely terrified of being abducted by aliens. Weird.

Are you doing NaNoWriMo? I thought you were, but I see no mention of it...???

Kiki!and!the!Lou! (word verification is cycre - apparently a long lost Greek island)

6:56 PM  
Blogger Tess said...

No NaNoWriMo for me--I write novels, but it takes me longer than a month. I think I'm working on one now. I usually try to grow them organically, which takes a while and makes for a huge mess further down the line when I have to go back and organize things. It's a sloppy process, but it's the best I have. I have lots of respect for all of you who are doing it marathon-style.

8:02 PM  
Blogger SAS said...

http://www.slate.com/id/2111172

The link is an article that a friend of mine wrote, calling for the inclusion of a new punctuation mark (actually - yes, an upside down exclamation point) to indicate sarcasm.

He was, of course, being sarcastic.

But it gives a whole new meaning to the St. Louis slogan...

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vaguely remember that Michigan had a slogan along the lines of "Yes! M!ch!gan!" which always made me think of someone sneezing while trying to say Michigan.

Alaska's new slogan is something like "Come Visit Before You Die" which is supposed to be "gosh what a great place; this is one thing ya gotta do!" but it sounds like a death threat. Wonder how much they paid the ad agency for that one!

These are the funniest state slogans I've seen:
http://www.funny2.com/states.htm

BTW, tell us more about the new novel. :)

2:47 PM  
Blogger Pirate said...

Oregon is the Beaver state and Salem is the cherry city. Go figure.

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home