Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Two Upcoming Movies

Right now, Curious George and Where the Whild Things Are are Ben's two favorite books. They also have something else in common: both are being made into new movies.

Entertainment Weekly reports that filming is moving forward on a live-action version of Where the Wild Things Are. The movie, which will be released sometime in 2007, will be written by David Eggers (A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius) and directed by Spike Jonze. Tom Hanks will be a producer.

I have a very, very hard time imagining the movie can be anything but awful. The book is a mere 48 pages, with a very simple story. It would be stretching it to expand it to a half-hour TV special; how they'll make a full-length movie out if it is beyond me. I'm dreading that they'll put in boring special effects, or try to be cool with topical references.

The animated Curious George movie comes out next month, with Will Ferrell voicing the man in the yellow hat. You can view the trailer here. I'm more cautiously optimistic about this movie, since George's multiple adventures over many books will provide more fodder for a plot. I'm certain, though, that they'll cut the pipe smoking that was in the original.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

OH NO!!!! While I found "Cat in the Hat" midly amusing. I don't like to even associate it with the book. Some stories should be left to the imagination of the reader.

I'm sure we are in the minority in my house, but we preferred "Harry Potter" before he was on every lunchbox and pair of boxer shorts in Walmart.

I hate to see all that happen to another classic.

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home