Saturday Art


So all I've been drawing this week is dogs. Dogs dogs dogs. I'm not sure that I even like dogs. But I had this idea for a children's book about a dog and my first step is to figure out how to draw them. So here I am, working out their anatomy and figuring out what makes one look cute while some other mutt just looks chewed.
I have discovered this: dogs are just not inherently cute. I think people like them so much because of their attachment to humankind. Which is all well and good; I'm all for personality trumping looks. But I just want y'all to be honest with yourself. These are not good-looking creatures. If you want to gaze at some pet for sheer visual pleasure, get a cat. I'm not saying they are better pets than dogs, but I am saying they are a whole lot more attractive.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
4 Comments:
Kaela,
I come by every Saturday with interest. (I read Tess daily, too, of course!)
I especially like it when you explain and discuss your work.
Thanks!
Hh
P.S. I think our Beagle is quite beautiful, in her doggy-way, with her hazel eyes. However, the three cats who own us are "prettier".
I love seeing your pencil drawings. For some reason drawing with pencil intrigues me and I have to tell you that seeing your drawings and hearing you tell about your thoughts on them has inspired me to learn how to draw with pencil. I just got one of thost cheesy "starter" kits for pencil drawing.
Hh,
I reread my post and realized I was really, well, bitchy about dogs. What I was really upset with was my struggle with drawing them. Sorry dogs! Not your fault!
And Ben,
I'm so glad to hear that you started drawing. Nothing cheesy about doing something new, not at all.
Post a Comment
<< Home