Do You Know Who I Am?
Two years ago at this time, I was freaking out because I found out that, despite my plans for natural childbirth, I was going to have a C-section the next day. I was in shock. I knew that first babies were often late, so I had mentally prepared myself to deliver in mid-June.
I called my family, I called my friends. I talked to my midwives. I went into work and cleaned out my desk. I packed my suitcase. I ate a nervous dinner. Then, I sat down in the glider rocker and read one last book to the baby in utero. I pulled Are You My Mother? off the shelf, a book I remembered fondly from my childhood.
I rested one hand on my belly and read. It was amazing to know that my baby's birthday was tomorrow. At the end of the book, tears sprang up in my eyes. The mother bird returns to the nest and says to her hatchling, "Do you know who I am?" The little bird lists all the things his mother is not and ends, "You are a bird and you are my mother." As I was reading that, I realized that the answer to "Do you know who I am?" was about to change forever.
I called my family, I called my friends. I talked to my midwives. I went into work and cleaned out my desk. I packed my suitcase. I ate a nervous dinner. Then, I sat down in the glider rocker and read one last book to the baby in utero. I pulled Are You My Mother? off the shelf, a book I remembered fondly from my childhood.
I rested one hand on my belly and read. It was amazing to know that my baby's birthday was tomorrow. At the end of the book, tears sprang up in my eyes. The mother bird returns to the nest and says to her hatchling, "Do you know who I am?" The little bird lists all the things his mother is not and ends, "You are a bird and you are my mother." As I was reading that, I realized that the answer to "Do you know who I am?" was about to change forever.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
3 Comments:
I. LOVE. THAT. BOOK.
I had a lot of moments on Monday when I thought back to what I was doing at that exact moment two years ago.
I'm tearing up yet again.
And my bawl-my-eyes-out book at that time was "Love You Forever," despite the occasional creepiness of that mom. :)
OH MY! You had me at "Do..."
I am so glad you have Ben--no matter how he came into the world...and that you have shared with us--and me-- your journey with that.
Happy REAL, TRUE, ACTUAL Mother's Day, Tess.
Hh
Awwwwwwwwwww....I love this post. It's so sweet! I love that image of you reading to Ben the day before his birthday. Why did you have a c-section again?
PS: thought I would tell you I failed the word verification and have to redo it...ARGH! Why can't I transpose those darn letters?
Post a Comment
<< Home