Saturday Art
I love tracing paper.

If I'm just let free to do what I will, I draw very very small and with lots of gesture. But once I decided to go after illustrating for children I realized my drawings would have to be larger. And once a tiny scratchy drawing is blown up, it looks pretty bad. So I came up with this process: I scan the scratchy drawing in to the computer, blow it up, print it out and use tracing paper to refine it.
As you can see here, I was having a hard time with this one. I couldn't get a good balance of reality and gesture. The dog is supposed to be looking around the corner of a building. If I stretched his neck out any more it didn't look like the same dog I had drawn in other pictures. If he wasn't stretching at all he didn't appear to looking. He was just standing. I used one of the curly tailed versions in the final layout. I'll post that once I finish it.

If I'm just let free to do what I will, I draw very very small and with lots of gesture. But once I decided to go after illustrating for children I realized my drawings would have to be larger. And once a tiny scratchy drawing is blown up, it looks pretty bad. So I came up with this process: I scan the scratchy drawing in to the computer, blow it up, print it out and use tracing paper to refine it.
As you can see here, I was having a hard time with this one. I couldn't get a good balance of reality and gesture. The dog is supposed to be looking around the corner of a building. If I stretched his neck out any more it didn't look like the same dog I had drawn in other pictures. If he wasn't stretching at all he didn't appear to looking. He was just standing. I used one of the curly tailed versions in the final layout. I'll post that once I finish it.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home