Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Alumni

Somehow, we've become alumni.

Growing up in a college town, I knew about alumni; they were the older people wandering around in Penn State sweatshirts after football games. They were the ones in line at the Creamery talking loudly about how everything had changed since the good old days.

And now we're alumni. Yes, I knew when I graduated I had become an alumna--but for several years after college, you can have the illusion that you're not really that old. It's not hard to imagine moving back into the dorms and taking classes again, and picking up right where you left off with your friends. The illusion is even easier to maintain if you go to grad school, since you're still a student and still hanging around campuses.

But when you've been out for nine years and find yourself with a house and child, and your life bears almost no resemblance to that of a college student, suddenly the students look young and you feel out of place walking down the street at night. You also find yourself doing things like going to the Diner and ordering a grilled sticky (even if you never used to order that), or going with friends to take your kids for a photo shoot at the Nittany Lion statue.

4 Comments:

Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

I.Love.That.Pic!!!

SO cute...and your wee son is a doll, too. ;)

Hh

8:05 PM  
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

I would never be caught in a photo with the Nittany Lion, but as of May I own an offensively orange Bowling Green State University alumni sweatshirt. As a student, I was embarrased by the safety orange, and our other school color - 1920s brown - wasn't any better. Now it's a matter of crotchety rebellion. YES IT'S FRICKIN' ORANGE! I earned it :)

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean, Tess. I feel the same way when I walk back on to my old college campus. Can I really be that old? Yep, I sure can.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

OMG...that is the best picture ever! Ben got a haircut!!! It makes him look SO grown up.

Pssst...I just failed the word verification...rassin' frassin'

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home