Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Monday, September 18, 2006

Collage Poems


This weekend, I felt some of the panic of "Will I ever publish a book?" come back. I had a firm talk with myself and told myself that if writing wasn't going to be fun, I didn't have to do it. To get out of my funk, I did another batch of collage poems. They can be liberating because the point of them is not to be good; it is to be creative and childlike. The flavor of the poems depends on what materials you cut up to find words. In this case, the St. Louis Zoo newsletter provided some fun animal words. The minute I cut out "ass" (from an article about donkeys), I knew I wouldn't be able to take myself too seriously.

The poems are above in their original ransom-note form, but here's a transcription. And yes, they're centered in the middle--something any introductory poetry teacher will tell you not to do.


EgoDrug: high school
achievement, Oxford education.
Story of a writer
who gives up,
is gone…

O, smart ape—
crash and bloom,
write ashes and morning,
wind in branches.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Into the glass ocean:
Our red penguin
searches
for a strange pearl.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Foraging baboons:
banana doctors
learn lunch.

Name nature
and
the tough-ass goldfinch
mocks us.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kaela said...

The phrase 'banana doctors' is my favorite. I don't know what it means, but it's very funny.

Something about mocking that professional person that I so want to be... is gratifying.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Ann D said...

That looks like so much fun. I'm so glad you posted the results.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Ann D said...

This would also make a great activity for kids.

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home