Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Monday, November 20, 2006

Big Things

It all started with Frankenstein--or rather, with Frankenstein's monster. In honor of Halloween, our neighbors put a giant inflatable Frankenstein monster on their front lawn. Ben was enraptured. He would peek out the window first thing in the morning to check on it. He would come out with cryptic statements: "I think Frankenstein is hungry. He wants a peanut butter sandwich," or "Frankenstein knows his ABC's." He was concerned that Frankenstein was cold. One day we pulled into the driveway, and Ben called out, "We're home. I was at the Y, Frankenstein." Sometimes, Frankenstein would malfunction and deflate into a nylon puddle, and Ben was not completely at ease until he was his puffy self again.

Now, however, with Frankenstein relegated to a box in our neighbor's house, Ben has a new delight: Big Things. He discovered them one day at Lowe's, high up on the shelves: two full rows of inflatable Santas, snowmen, and nativity scenes. "Look at all the Big Things!" he exclaimed. There are snow globes with "snow" that actually falls. There's NASCAR Santa, with elves helping him in the pit. Down at Ben's eye level, there are smaller stuffed animals that sing Christmas carols. (Thanks to a singing dog, he seems to think one song goes, "Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle all the way--woof woof woof!") We went to Lowe's yesterday for the sole purpose of seeing Big Things, and as we stood there we watched other toddlers point and stare, open-mouthed.

Ben has since discovered that Walgreen's and Target have lesser displays of Big Things, and that makes shopping both easier and harder. He will willingly go in any store with Big Things, but it's difficult to tear him away when it's time to go. He likes to "read" the Lowe's ad each week.

It's a sign of the derangement that parenthood brings that I've actually considered buying a Big Thing. I mean, an 8-foot tall inflatable snowman is only $30! At this age, Ben has distinctive likes and dislikes, and I want to make him happy. But I'm wary of reflexively buying him whatever he wants, and I also know that if we have a Big Thing of our own, it won't be as special any more. I'm hoping the Christmas tree will bring excitement enough.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the plus side, at least Ben's preferred Big Thing is not a $35,900 John Deere combine harvester. :)

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my god.

i sing "jingle bells... jingle all the way, woof woof woof" too!

though usually the woof woof part is in my head...

...i think i need a lie down with a cool compress on my forehead...

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home