Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Today's the Day

Don't forget to

VOTE!

Tom gets bonus points for exercising both his body and his civic duty by jogging to the polls at 6 AM. I just got back from voting at a more reasonable 10:30 AM. I must confess: I was stumped by the questions about the retention of judges, so I skipped that section. I was glad to be able to vote for all the other races, though, and for the ballot amendments.

If you want more information about your polling place, go here. If you want more information about the candidates in your area, go here. And if you're in St. Louis County and want to preview what's on the ballot, go here. (Caveat: I don't know much about the first two sites, although Wikipedia says that Vote Smart is nonpartisan.)

The way I look at it, in this election the worst that can happen is the status quo is maintained. While I wouldn't be happy about that, at least I'm used to it. The best case scenario is that some things will change the way I want them to. Election season makes me wish we had cable; I'm keyed up and eager to see the results.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Tess and other Missouri voters. I remember feeling confident when I saw several McCaskill signs in rural southwestern Missouri on a recent trip through the state, but it really did come down to the wire. Great work, Missourians! I'll be glad to see Sen. McCaskill contributing to a restoration of sanity in the U.S. Congress.

1:11 AM  
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

Yes, thank you liberal Missourians. I remember the dread feeling I got on election night 2004 when I realize that my (then) dumbass state, Ohio, was going to be the Florida of that contest. I just wanted to get out from all the scrutiny so that the local news wouldn't be obsessed with it. Not to be. This year, the honor goes to Virginia :)

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tess, don't feel bad. I skipped the judges part, too. Rather than make a bad decision, I chose to not effect the outcome at all.

For the first time in a long time, I was perfectly happy to wake up to NPR!

8:10 AM  
Blogger Lady Liberty said...

Yes, our duty and was happy to see the turn out. We now have a fighting chance if we can only get them all in the same ring.
I have a political blog. Stop by and voice your concerns on the issues. Would enjoy hearing from you!
Abby

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home