Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Merry Christmas, from Wal-Mart

Because I look to the nation's largest retailer to validate my religious beliefs, I was thrilled to hear that Wal-Mart will return to using "Merry Christmas," rather than "Happy Holidays."

Last year around Christmastime, everything seemed perfect: I went to church, exchanged gifts, gave to charity, visited with friends and family, baked cookies, wrote cards.... But underneath it all was a lingering emptiness I couldn't quite put my finger on. Looking back, I realize what it was: No one from Wal-Mart wished me a Merry Christmas. No wonder I felt so empty inside. What is a holy day without acknowledgement from Wal-Mart?

This year, though, I don't have to worry. A Wal-Mart spokesperson told USA Today, "We're not afraid to use the term 'Merry Christmas.' We'll use it early, and we'll use it often."

That part confuses me a bit. You mean, they'll be wishing me a Merry Christmas during advent? Isn't that premature? I thought advent was a time when Christians were supposed to prepare for the birth of Christ through fasting, self-reflection, alms-giving, and penitence--but as far as I know, the Wal-Mart spokesperson didn't have much to say about advent. Could it be because Wal-Mart has a vested interest in trying to get me to buy as much as possible, even if that's not in the spirit of advent's austerity? Surely not!

The more I ponder Wal-Mart's stance, the more troubled I become. Why is Wal-Mart going to help me celebrate Christmas but not advent? Aren't they supposed to acknowledge all my holidays? As far as I'm concerned, Wal-Mart is welcome to wish me a Merry Christmas on December 25--I'll even give them some leeway and let them start on the 24th after the Christmas Eve services. But I'm positively indignant they're not also willing to help me celebrate advent beforehand by discouraging unnecessary expenditures.

If Wal-Mart won't respect my religious traditions, I'll just take my business elsewhere. But where? Godless rival Target is no help. What about K-Mart? Can they provide me religious validation?

Maybe this year, I'll have to shop less and just go to church.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thoughtful post, and I like your satirical approach. I wonder if your wikipedia link on "Advent" will give any naughty ideas to French small business owners who resent the invasion of Walmart "vermin" into their country...As it says, in the section on various traditional customs associated with Advent: "In Normandy, farmers employed children under twelve to run through the fields and orchards armed with torches, setting fire to bundles of straw, and thus it is believed driving out such vermin as are likely to damage the crops."

If they have any stores in France, maybe that is another reason to skip right over Advent and move straight to Joyeux Noel (did I spell that right?)

Or maybe this year just isn't a good year for selling Virgin Mary dolls, which the wikipedia entry notes are a traditional Advent custom in England.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

YOu crack me up. Great post :)

6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*snork*

12:52 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Even as what could be considered a spiritual Christmas celebrating semi-conservative Christian, I have NEVER understood the complaints about "Happy Holidays."

How do I know who celebrates Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hannakuh, (did I spell that right?--Christian Left spelled Joyeux Noel correctly) or nothing at all, like my Jehovah's Witness friend?

I'm almost ready to start wishing everyone "Happy Winter." That's a given, right?

Hh

2:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home