All is Vanity?

According to CNN.com, college students today are becoming increasingly narcissistic. A new study found that scores on the Narcissistic Personality Inventory have been steadily rising over the past 25 years; the authors think the self-esteem movement that started in the 80s might be partially to blame. According to one author, "Permissiveness seems to be a component . . . A potential antidote would be more authoritative parenting. Less indulgence might be called for."
(The researchers also note that today's technology can contribute to narcissism; they single out MySpace, but I'm sure their comments could apply equally to Blogger. Does blogging contribute to narcissim? Discuss.)
These findings are especially troubling in light of a study conducted by some of the same researchers several years ago, which found that the combination of narcissim and social rejection can increase the risk of violent behavior among young people. One of the authors said then, "One way to prevent violence is by reducing instances of social rejection. . . .We can also prevent violence by reducing feelings of narcissism. For example, schools should carefully examine any programs that are intended to increase students' self-esteem. Many of these programs cross the line into encouraging narcissism and egoism. These programs could backfire by increasing aggression among students, because narcissistic students are more aggressive."
So parents and educators must do their best to help their children become happy, confident, well-adjusted individuals--without creating a sense of inflated self-worth or insensitivity to the feelings of others. Several years of teaching taught me just how tiresome entitled students can be; at the same time, I learned that some teenagers are also capable of great thoughtfulness. As I parent, I try to think of what kind of person I want my son to grow into.
In the midst of all the toddler tantrums, Tom and I have been working with Ben on his behavior. Part of helping him manage his outbursts is showing him that, while we love him very much, he isn't the center of the universe, and other people have needs too. The dual message--you're special to us, but other people also deserve consideration and respect--can be tricky to convey to a two-year-old, but we're doing our best.
Photo by yamaken on flickr.com.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
4 Comments:
Just curious... what would be an example of teaching him that "while we love him very much, he isn't the center of the universe, and other people have needs too"? (no sarcasm)
I'd say we're trying to do similar things with our 2 y/o. I can think of times that we've delayed our response to a request of his (expecially a demand) in order to try to teach him patience. Sometimes, his mom and I role play in front of him what we see as proper behavior and examples of patience.
Other times, we try to point out to him how his actions affect others or make him aware of others feelings in an attempt to instill compassion.
New York Magazine recently had a cover "Praise is Dangerous" with an article 'How not to talk to your kids: The inverse power of praise'. You post reminded me of this. I believe the gist of the article was over-praising your child by telling them how good they are actually lowered their self-esteem and led students to underestimate there ability. I believe it came down to how the praise was given. Something along the lines of 'You are Great' vs 'you did great'.
All in all, I don't know how much of the New York article or the CNN study I buy! I buy that the nuances of parental praise can make a big difference.
I snickered at the thought of parents trying to reduce "instances of social rejection" in their child's life (that would seem to be mostly out of a parents control). I could only think of building up of their self esteem as a counter-measure; -not so that they won't become a violent person... just so they can save on some therapy fees later in life. How you go from developing self-asteem to developing an ego-manic would be an interesting article.
I hope this didn't come off like a rant. I guess the article hit a nerve. I know far too many people that have had low self-esteem. I'm striving for high self-esteem with higher than average levels of compassion for others. I think the bar for average is probably set a little low anyhow! ;)
Well, the examples that come to mind are behavior in public.... For example, I'm trying to keep Ben from running in the hallways at the YMCA. It might be fun for him, and it helps him burn off some steam, but there are lots of older adults who don't need to be bumped into by a toddler. So we practice walking together, even though he would prefer to run. (And he can run all he wants at the park or at the Kids Gym.) Another example might be family meals. He might prefer to keep playing, but we come together for meals to meet the needs of all three of us, so we can't necessarily accomodate his whims.
Another way of teaching him that we love him while helping with his behavior is to see bad behavior as his actions, not his personality. It's the flip side of "you are great" vs. "you did great"--instead of "you are bad/bratty/spoiled" it becomes "you made a bad choice" or "you behaved badly in this instance." While we're working on discipline a lot, we're also trying to be relaxed and affectionate as much as possible, so that he knows we care about him.
As far as social rejection goes, I agree with you. We can't make everyone be included all the time, and there will always be hurt feelings. We can, however, do as you do, and encourage our kids to think about how their actions affect others. Teachers and schools can create an atmosphere of trust and cooperation where bullying is minimized.
As far as I understand it (and I'm far from an expert on the topic), the problem is not so much self-esteem (which is healthy), but inflated self-esteem (which isn't). There also seems to be the mistaken assumption that you get self-esteem from being told you're great, when the research as I understand it suggests that people gain self-esteem from being able to do what is important to them. I want my son to feel happy and confident and able to achieve his goals.
Thanks for the discussion!
I think we're on the same page Tess.
We also definately discipline for bad behavior, not because our child is bad.
Your timing is uncanny! I just got emailed the latest ParentCenter bulletin from Babycenter.com and in it was referenced the article I mentioned... http://nymag.com/news/features/27840/index.html
Thanks for the link!
Post a Comment
<< Home