Six-Word Stories
Last night at my critique group, we talked about very short stories. Someone brought up the six-word Hemingway short story: "For sale: baby shoes, never worn." Today I found nearly 100 examples of six-word stories in Wired Magazine here. Who would have thought Margaret Atwood was a master of the form?
Inspired, I decided to try my hand at a few. Some are even based on true stories! If you'd like to try one, feel free to post it as a comment.
*
Ben wants dogs. Mom says no.
*
Ben acts like dog. I worry.
*
Waters rose up, swept towns away.
*
Girl wanted marriage. Boy thought otherwise.
*
Stranger comes to town with story.
*
My big dreams didn't work out.
*
We thought you were dead. Surprise!
*
Baby? Thought you had him. Oops!
*
Man rescues toddler. Dies in fire.
*
Man tries to light fire. Can't. (With apologies to Jack London.)
*
"Naptime," I say. Toddler thinks not.
Inspired, I decided to try my hand at a few. Some are even based on true stories! If you'd like to try one, feel free to post it as a comment.
*
Ben wants dogs. Mom says no.
*
Ben acts like dog. I worry.
*
Waters rose up, swept towns away.
*
Girl wanted marriage. Boy thought otherwise.
*
Stranger comes to town with story.
*
My big dreams didn't work out.
*
We thought you were dead. Surprise!
*
Baby? Thought you had him. Oops!
*
Man rescues toddler. Dies in fire.
*
Man tries to light fire. Can't. (With apologies to Jack London.)
*
"Naptime," I say. Toddler thinks not.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
7 Comments:
I like those. Very interesting.
Wow, Mike! That story and picture gave me the chills!
That's a great idea! Those are the kind of stories I can tackle ;). I'm going to do something like this on my blog and give you credit for the idea.
I steal idea. Give Tess Credit.
I loved the last one!! I'm going to work on it. Why did they (whoever) decide on 6 words? Just curious.
These are great! Funny and poignant too.
I tried it myself: Link
Don't worry, I gave you credit. :)
Ok I will give it a go-
Angry words always beat angry fists.
Innocence lost? Summer spent with Marine.
Pie together today, jealous ex-lover later.
See teacher? I use enough words!
Not word count, but word value.
Post a Comment
<< Home