Airports
Tomorrow I'm flying to DC to get together with friends. I'm looking forward to the trip, and the chance to hang out sans toddler. I'm also looking forward to having some time to drink coffee and read in the airport.
When I was young, my family rarely flew--just the occasional trip to California to visit my grandparents. During layovers in Philadelphia or Pittsburgh, I was struck by the sheer numbers of people. It was amazing to contemplate that the families, the businesspeople, and the tourists all had their own stories, and our lives intersected for just a few minutes before we flew off to different states or countries. I tried to watch everyone, eager for a glimpse of their lives.
As an adult, I found airports boring, or (when I was going through my fear-of-flying phase) nerve-wracking. They lost some of their magical appeal as places where people are brought together, and then dispersed. But tomorrow, as I go through security or wait in line to board my flight, I'll try to recapture a bit of the magic, and see what stories I can discover.
When I was young, my family rarely flew--just the occasional trip to California to visit my grandparents. During layovers in Philadelphia or Pittsburgh, I was struck by the sheer numbers of people. It was amazing to contemplate that the families, the businesspeople, and the tourists all had their own stories, and our lives intersected for just a few minutes before we flew off to different states or countries. I tried to watch everyone, eager for a glimpse of their lives.
As an adult, I found airports boring, or (when I was going through my fear-of-flying phase) nerve-wracking. They lost some of their magical appeal as places where people are brought together, and then dispersed. But tomorrow, as I go through security or wait in line to board my flight, I'll try to recapture a bit of the magic, and see what stories I can discover.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
3 Comments:
Any chance you'll be having a layover in the Scranton airport? :)
Have a nice trip!
Nope, sorry--just Detroit (outbound) and Memphis (inbound).
I adore airports. I love the energy and the different ways people deal with layover time. And I'd dye my hair purple for some alone time. Have a nice time!
Thanks for your supportive comment the other day, when I wrote about finding an agent. You said some really sweet things and I appreciate it!
Post a Comment
<< Home