Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Can Mr. Smith Get to Washington Anymore?

I never thought a documentary about politics could make me laugh, applaud, and cry--but I just finished watching Can Mr. Smith Get to Washington Anymore?, and I had all three reactions as I watched this riveting movie.

The documentary tells the story of Jeff Smith, a Missouri university instructor who, at age 29, decides to compete in the Democratic congressional primary for the seat vacated by retiring Democrat Dick Gephardt. With no money and no name recognition, Smith builds a formidable grassroots campaign that nearly beats Russ Carnahan--a man from a prominent Missouri political family, whose mother is a U.S. Senator and whose late father was governor of Missouri. The movie brings up troubling questions about money, power, and politics--and asks whether it is still possible for a "regular person" to succeed in the political arena.

Within the first 5 minutes, I was rooting for the progressive, optimistic Smith--and feeling guilty for all the times I had argued that I couldn't vote for a candidate that was unelectable. The film shows how "unelectable" becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, as voters and groups are drawn to the people already in power. Smith's story, though, also shows how a committed group can work for change.

And yes, even though I knew the ending--Smith narrowly loses the primary--I had tears in my eyes at the end. The movie makes you feel keenly the injustice that name recognition can trump grassroots power, and a mediocre candidate can best an inspired one. I came away rethinking our political process.... What more can you ask for in a documentary?

There is, however, a small happy ending to Smith's story: two years later, in 2006, Smith was elected a state senator. It makes me happy to think of him in Jefferson City standing up to Governor Blunt--who is himself from a powerful Missouri political family.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY for more frequent blogging! off to my netfliz list!

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? No commentary from Christian Left? :) Isn't he supposed to comment on all the political stuff? :)

7:36 PM  
Blogger Tess said...

I was wondering the same thing. ;) Evidently his new job is keeping him busy.

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home