Further Thoughts on Airports
On my trip, I realized two things about airports. First, part of the reason I was free to imagine the inner lives of passengers when I was a child is that my parents were with me, taking care of all the logistical details. Yes, I was affected by late flights and weather difficulties, but those problems were filtered through my parents. As an adult, I am much more focused on details such as parking, finding the nearest Starbucks, and making it to the gate.
Second, this time I was struck by how not fun flying has become. It's not just the long lines, crowded cabins, and absence of free in-flight snacks; while I watched people go through security and take off their shoes and jackets while clutching laptops and baggies full of toiletries, I realized how vulnerable we look. Even the most dignified businessman now has to show the world his socks and his deodorant and his naked laptop. An old woman with expensive jewelry had to remove her shoes and fur coat and watch them X-rayed. Parents fold up strollers and put infants' jackets on the conveyor belt. The scene at security made me sad. Who knew that my childhood was the golden age of flying?
Second, this time I was struck by how not fun flying has become. It's not just the long lines, crowded cabins, and absence of free in-flight snacks; while I watched people go through security and take off their shoes and jackets while clutching laptops and baggies full of toiletries, I realized how vulnerable we look. Even the most dignified businessman now has to show the world his socks and his deodorant and his naked laptop. An old woman with expensive jewelry had to remove her shoes and fur coat and watch them X-rayed. Parents fold up strollers and put infants' jackets on the conveyor belt. The scene at security made me sad. Who knew that my childhood was the golden age of flying?
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
1 Comments:
And your childhood was after the days of smoking while watching full feature movies for free on airplanes! You're right though, travelling is now the great social strata leveler. There are no expedited first class sidelines to rush through security...oh, and by the way, I totally plan for sock feet when travelling these days!
Post a Comment
<< Home