Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Induction Attempt



I am getting seriously impatient to have this baby, so this morning after I dropped Ben off at preschool I decided to talk a walk around the botanical garden and see if exercise would jump-start labor. I've never seen the gardens so quiet--deserted except for one man walking and some workers speeding around in golf carts. Evidently, most people consider twenty degrees too cold to be strolling around outside.


As I waddled around taking pictures, I could feel my impatience subside. Instead, I tried to relish my last days of being able to go where I want when I want. The smell of something frying wafting from the restaurant inside made me think for some reason of when I lived in England and would travel by myself and explore new cities. For the moment, my chances of international travel are nonexistent, but I've promised myself that once the kids get older I'll figure out a way to explore again.


Although my walk in the cold didn't end up inducing labor, I felt exhilarated. I warmed up at the old-timey World's Fair Donuts, where I ordered one of whatever was the freshest, which turned out to be a maple-peanut donut.












4 Comments:

Blogger emma o said...

this is an absolutely delightful post. in several ways and for several reasons. i am glad to have partaken (via reading and picture perusing) in this sharing of experience!

6:32 PM  
Blogger dbonfitto said...

Tess, go dancing. Tell Tom to get his dancing shoes and take you out for a spin. It worked for us.

6:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm telling you, Tess - she's waiting for Christmas. Better prepare Ben for Santa being sidetracked....

(Sorry, I'll quit joking. I know how frustrating it is. Really. I can't remember if you're VBACing? It will be fantastic.)

9:11 AM  
Blogger emily said...

Tess, These photos are absolute amazing. Gorgeous. Perfect. The donut sounds seriously good too! :) I'm sorry you're feeling so impatient--I'm grateful the botanical gardens gave you some much needed moments of peace before the second baby arrives. Sending good thoughts for your VBAC! Emily

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home