Confronting Evil

At Barnes and Noble, I browsed the tables looking for books that had nothing to do with parenting or middle-class suburban life. I chose We Wish To Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families: Stories from Rwanda, by Philip Gourevitch. I knew the subject—the Rwandan genocide of 1994 and its aftermath—would be difficult on many levels, but I wanted to try to grapple with it.
Genocide is murder on a scale difficult to comprehend, involving not one or two people committing crimes, but hundreds of thousands. In 1994 in
I presume that you are reading this because you desire a closer look, and that you, too, are properly disturbed by your curiosity. Perhaps, in examining this extremity with me, you hope for some understanding, some insight, some flicker of self-knowledge—a moral, or a lesson, or a clue about how to behave in this world: some such information. I don’t discount the possibility, but when it comes to genocide, you already know right from wrong. The best reason I have come up with for looking closely into
Although the Hutu militias were the ones weilding machetes, the world community was also complicit. Gourevitch describes how the Belgian colonizers created sharp divisions between Hutus and Tutsis that laid the ground for future conflict. Even after the genocide started, the French continued to supply arms to the Hutus. The UN was repeatedly informed of the situation, but chose not to act. In one nauseating passage, a spokesperson for the
One story that offers some hope is that of Paul Rusesabagina, a Hutu hotel manager who helped save the lives of over 1,000 Tutsis. He negotiated with fighters in the Hutu militias, argued with them, and bribed them with alcohol in order to keep the refugees in his hotel safe. Using the one working hotel phone line, he made international phone calls to ask for help from his contacts, and he encouraged the refugees to do the same. Rusesabagina didn’t know he was unusual until after the genocide; he says, “During the genocide, I didn’t know. I thought so many people did as I did, because I know that if they’d wanted they could have done so.” The author shows us a decent man, someone who acts the way we hope we would if we were in the situation. But the rareness of his actions casts doubt about how many of us would find the courage to resist evil.
Immediately following this story in the book, a priest explains that he had been unable to protect Tutsi children that were slaughtered at his school when he left them under the watch of the Hutu police. He asks, “What could I do by myself? Nothing. That’s elementary logic.” One particularly chilling aspect of this book is the number of religious leaders who were complicit in the killings or did nothing to protect the Tutsis in their care.
Coming tomorrow: the movie Hotel Rwanda.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
5 Comments:
Yikes...I did LOVE Hotel Rwanda...So sad. So sad. So sad.
I'm glad you wrote something about that book. I wouldn't read something like that voluntarily because I imagine it over and over again at night when I'm trying to sleep. It horrifies me too much to choose it, but I know it's important not to ignore what happened. So I'm glad you brought it to my attention. Perhaps I'll watch that movie.
I don't even know the details of the genocide, but I'm teary and sick already by just thinking about it. Maybe I just can't stomach the information, period.
I'm ashamed to say that even though I was old enough to be aware of world events in 1994, I had no idea this had happened until I saw the movie Hotel Rwanda. It was chilling.
The things that humans will do to one another (things that no other 'animal' on the planet will do) never cease to amaze and dismay me.
I'm reading your last two posts here, and I have that goosebump-chill-odd-tingly-reading-something-important-and-meaningful feeling.
This is a good thing.
Now I have another book to check out, sure to make me weep, sure to make me want to NOT be one of the individuals who refused to do anything because "elementary logic" says that one person can't make an impact.
What if the one child they could have saved was mine? (shudder)
I took a course in college with Dr. Thomas Klein called "The Holocaust and the Literature of Genoceide" - a tough semester as you might imagine. Our first read was Elie Wiesel's Night and I cried for hours afterwards, so distraught. By the end of the course, as we reached topics like the desaparacidos in Argentina, I was eating my lunch while reading the novels. I found this as disturbing as the texts - that I had become desensitized. However, others in the class found the opposite reaction - their distance at the beginning was slowly worn down so that by the end of the course they were emotional basketcases. An interesting examination of how humans process grief and suffering.
Dr. Klein, whose first wife was a Holocaust survivor who committed suicide after they had been married five years, said that there are always four groups of people involved in a genocide:
a) perpetrators
b) victims
c) defenders
d) by-standers
I judge any work portraying a genocide based on this idea, making sure that all sides of the conflict are represented. The by-standers are often the most insidious and difficult to portray. Villains have motives, victims have our sympathy, and defenders arouse a sense of justice and heroism, but by-standers (who most of us are or would be) are an ambiguous, amorphous lot that make for gray-area characters often side-stepped for the sake of brevity in Hollywood portrayals.
Post a Comment
<< Home